Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Plugged duct/mastitis :(

It seems I have either a plugged duct (or ducts) and/or mastitis. :( My left breast started hurting last night, and, despite having both Ava and Julian nurse on that side, it wasn't any better this morning. I talked to my midwife today and she gave me a list of things to do to treat it - including WishGarden Mastitis Remedy - 4 droppersful every 2 hours, drinking Emer-gen-C - 3 times a day, and Echinacea tea (to boost my immune system) - 2 times per day, hot compress (with WishGarden Mastitis Poultice - optional) 4 times a day, as well as lots of rest. I took a nap this afternoon, but am still feeling crappy. (Thankfully, my parents are still in town to help out or I can't imagine I'd get any rest at all!) She said if it's not better by the morning, to call her. I'm hoping that since I caught it very early that I can nip it in the bud and not have to go to the doctor for antibiotics and have to deal with the risk of Julian or myself developing thrush after that. So we'll see what the morning brings. I'm trying to think positively.

I've heard that it's more common to develop these issues with second babies than it is with the first, because you get more lax about positioning and latch, etc. I feel very fortunate that I never had any issues in the 2 1/2 years of nursing Ava (pre-Julian), because, quite frankly - this sucks.

Anyway, I wanted to post about it and the treatment options in case it might help anyone else out there dealing with this. There's also lots of good info re: plugged ducts and mastitis on kellymom.com.

6 Comments:

At 12/19/2006 6:05 PM, Blogger Amy T said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the pain you're going through! Feeling pain like that and being needed for so many other chores and mommying has got to be overwhelming. I'm glad you have some help for the time being. Let us know what happens with this. I had a terrible time with breastfeeding Aidan with almost no support, but I stuck it out. I don't know what I'd do if it was mastisis.

 
At 12/19/2006 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer...I hope you feel better soon, and if it had to happen at least your parents are still around- can they stay longer if needed?

 
At 12/20/2006 5:39 AM, Blogger Isil Simsek said...

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this. Hope you feel better soon.Hugs!

 
At 12/20/2006 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I feel for you. I've had WAY more plugged ducts with Adam than I did with Sydney. My sure-fire trick is to use those ThermaCare heat wraps (the small ones for menstrual cramps) and stick it to my boob so it heats it constantly, then massage while nursing. Often I'd wear it overnight, and the plug would be free in the morning.

 
At 12/20/2006 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man that sounds awful...HOpefully it goes away soon!!

 
At 12/20/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Ugh - I had one with Tim and it was yukky. Heat & massage helped me, plus panadol (think you guys call it tylenol) for the fevery/shivery symptoms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home