Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Full of it

I've learned something about Julian in these first two weeks of his life. He's full of it. What is "it," you ask? Pee. PEE! The boy has so much pee!!

I had heard people say before that boys pee more than girls, but I was skeptical. After all, they are ingesting roughly the same amount of milk and their bodies process it the same. (Right?) So how is it that they can have so much more pee??

I'm not going to claim that I remember how frequently I changed Ava's diapers as a newborn, but I don't remember her saturating diapers and leaking through to outfits sometimes several times a day (which Julian does). And I'm talking both cloth diapers and disposables (7th Generation), which we were using while the meconium stage passed and until his cord fell off, and are still using at night. The boy can soak a diaper like there's no tomorrow and still have pee leftover to spray after you take his diaper off (more on that below).

I didn't buy a whole lot of 0-3 month outfits/sleepers because I figured I would have a larger baby and one who would outgrow that size within a month or so (as Ava did). But now, due to the lack of clothes, Jody is having to do laundry about every other day. At least all of the boy's outfits will get some good use. ;)

Seriously though, has anyone who's had both a boy and a girl experienced the excessive pee factor with their boy? What do you attribute it to?

And don't even get me started on the crazy peeing during diaper changes. So far Julian's peed on me, Jody, my photography backdrop, the bed, himself (including on his hair today - what range!), as well as whatever he's lying on - changing pads, towels, etc. - during the diaper change. And I'm sure I'll have more things to add to the list as the days pass.

Having a boy this time around has certainly been a sometimes messy and WET experience thus far, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

Edited to add: After posting this, I got up to change him and what do ya know? After his (soaked) diaper was removed, he peed - not once, but twice! Guess he didn't want to make a liar out of me.

13 Comments:

At 12/06/2006 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Omg...boy pee. Sydney NEVER leaked a diaper and Adam did it (heck, still does) regularly. And in the beginning, he peed on us all the time, spread the wealth all over the room actually. :) We got "pee pee tee pees" as a shower gift, and he'd just blow those right off with all that pee of his. Thankfully, it does stop - I haven't gotten peed on in months and months. :)

Hey, at least you know he's well hydrated with all that breastmilk, eh?

 
At 12/06/2006 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of boys...:-) One trick I have found is to use one size larger 'sposie diaper than what you would normally get. If Julian should be in a size 2, get a size 3. The bigger size diaper can absorb more, and you can usually wrap the excess around their thighs and waist. Both my boys soaked their diapers a lot. I still have to use an insert wrapped in a microfiber cloth with the FuzziBunz, and change them every 2 hours, or they pee through.

I had the best luck using Huggies and Whitecloud diapers (from Wal-mart) for overnights. If I used anything else, they were soaked through in an hour. Cole can make it a whole night now in the Whitecloud without leaking through. Hope things "dry out" a bit for you.

 
At 12/07/2006 12:22 AM, Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

I'm not a mom nor familiar with this, but I do know about Pee Pee Tee Pees and I hear those work. They even have different designs.

 
At 12/07/2006 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A family I used to babysit for had a little boy and they would put two diapers on him at night, a regular diaper and an overnight diaper, and he would still wake up in the morning with pee cpmpletely soaked through his pjs.

 
At 12/07/2006 10:11 AM, Blogger erica said...

Haha! I have never heard of this. Just don't hold him above your head!

 
At 12/07/2006 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about little boys peeing during diaper changes always reminds me of the advice my mom gave my sister and I before my brother was born "If his little ding dong sticks up dodge, because that means he is going to have to pee" It still makes my sister and I laugh whenever we think about it. Sorry I have no advice about how to handle the excessive amount of peeing little boys do. I think it is just part of being a boy. By the way I love your blog!
Rebecca

 
At 12/07/2006 2:46 PM, Blogger Christina K. said...

OMG!!! How funny this post was :) I do feel bad for you though!! Jacob only soaked through diapers at night and not very often. Lucky for us he never peed on anyone so I don't have any advice. Maybe a wool soaker??

 
At 12/07/2006 6:33 PM, Blogger Mama T said...

"Having a boy this time around has certainly been a sometimes messy and WET experience thus far..."

LOL - As a mom of two boys, this does not change as they get older!
Be prepared! Hee hee

I used to put a diaper wipe over my boys while changing them. They would still pee, but at least it doesn't shoot up into the air and in your face. Funny thing though, I never thought of my boys pee as dirty or gross or anything. Well, at least not when they were newborns.

 
At 12/08/2006 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Amy, glad to see you had time to add Julian to your Family's home page!

Roy
TXphotog13@cs.com

 
At 12/08/2006 10:12 AM, Blogger BlueGoddess said...

Well I always put his clean diaper unfolded underneath his body with the dirty diaper still on and closed. Then look to see if his ding dong sticks up dodge, like the other woman said. If it is you can close the dirty one back up or you can put the clean one over it and at least their won't be anyone shot in the eye. Or in the mouth. That one happened to my sister with my son.

But unfortunately they do just pee a lot and through their clothes all the time. If you are lucky you can sort of figure out his schedule and change him before he soaks through his clothes. But whenever I left the house I always took a bunch of diapers and at least 2 outfits with me.

 
At 12/08/2006 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful, soon enough he'll be writing his name in snow.... ;)

 
At 12/08/2006 11:16 PM, Blogger Amy T said...

I hear ya with the pee! My mom would call it the firehose treatment when changing him. LOL! I would put a washcloth or a diaper wipe over his stuff when changing him but sometimes I forgot and always got a stream of it. Since he was a newborn in Thailand we used a Thai brand diaper - or maybe it was Japanese -- anyway it was like having pillows covering him the diaper was so thick n puffy. He never leaked in those. Coming back to the States, I was in awe of how thin diapers are here.

 
At 12/12/2006 4:09 PM, Blogger Penny said...

LOL! Yep - I've had the hose treatment along with the wall. Luckily he never hosed himself into his mouth like some boys I know .. ick, ick, ick! At least it's sterile when it comes out!

I didn't have problems with leaks though. so can't give you any advise on that. I remember having to change him at every feed though which was every 2.5 - 3 hours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home