Monday, January 09, 2006

Crash - the movie

I finally saw Crash this weekend.
SYNOPSIS:
A provocative, unflinching look at the complexities of racial conflict in America, CRASH is that rare cinematic event - a film that challenges audiences to question their own prejudices. Diving headlong into the diverse melting pot of post-9/11 Los Angeles, this compelling urban drama tracks the volatile intersections of a multi-ethnic cast, examining fear and bigotry from multiple perspectives as characters careen in and out of one another’s lives. No one is safe in the battle zones of racial strife. And no one is immune to the simmering rage that sparks violence - and changes lives...

Wow. What a powerful movie. I knew it was about racism, but I had no idea to what degree.

It's frightening, eye-opening and heart-wrenching, yet it is also thought-provoking and full of hope. I was in tears during a few scenes, both surprised and amazed by what my eyes were watching.

There's no guessing how this movie will unfold. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, wanting to know what will come next, but fearing it at the same time.

"Crash" has an all-star cast, is very well-acted and was excellently done. Because of the strong themes, language, etc., it is definitely not appropriate for all ages, but I really think this movie should be required viewing for all adults in America. Perhaps it will open some minds and some hearts.

Two thumbs way up.

5 Comments:

At 1/10/2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

I related somewhat with the Sandra Bullock character when she goes off on her husband about being racist if you cross a street but the one time she didn't was when she found a gun in her face. I've been mugged by a man, who happened to be black, and if I ever see a man crossing the street too close to me and we're not downtown, I'm sorry but I get scared!!!

 
At 1/10/2006 11:07 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Way up, agreed!

 
At 1/10/2006 5:14 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

I was bawling at the scene with the little girl and her dad. Heart wrenching! Such a powerful film.

 
At 1/10/2006 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't even heard of this movie. I'll have to find it at one of the rental places. Thank you for the recommendation.

 
At 1/11/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Amy - How scary that you were mugged! Where were you when it happened? I imagine having an experience like that could really condition the way you react in the future. Glad you were ok.

R2Ks - I remember you writing about the movie on your blog. Thx for recommending it.

Tiff - I so know what you mean. I was too.

Rowan - You'll have to let me know what you think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home