Saturday, January 07, 2006

Promising workplace breastfeeding proposal

Proposal would require Colorado employers to permit breastfeeding at work
Under the proposal from Sen. Deanna Hanna (D-Lakewood), businesses would be required to set aside a "quiet, private" location for the process (breastfeeding) and would specifically exclude a toilet stall as a location for the breastfeeding. In addition, the measure calls for two separate 20-minute paid breaks for the new mother in addition to whatever lunch break is allowed.

Sen. Deanna Hanna said, "It's a simple accommodation (for businesses). It's short-term. We all know people who smoke get those accommodations to leave the building for periods of time during the day and that's part of their work day. I think nursing babies is a lot healthier than taking smoking breaks."
Well said, Senator. :)
I hope this passes.

(The wording seems a bit unclear, but I assume this applies to mothers who choose to pump their breastmilk at work, not just actually breastfeed.)

8 Comments:

At 1/07/2006 8:34 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

Good for Colorado! And it's yet another reason for me to be thankful that I can stay at home with my wee one and give him milk whenever he wants it. :)

 
At 1/07/2006 9:58 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Yep, I hope it passes and other states adopt the law as well. :)
And I'm with you, I'm very thankful that I'm able to SAH and don't having to worry about when and where I can pump.

 
At 1/07/2006 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great!
When I was our on maternity leave I contacted my HR department. I told them I would be pumping and asked if they could set aside a place where I coud do this. I did not have any problems.

 
At 1/09/2006 12:03 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

VM - That's great that they had no problems and even helped you out with it! If only all employers could be so understanding and helpful.

 
At 1/09/2006 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, that is really great, but I always think it is so sad that we need to have laws surrounding breastfeeding. I always joke that I plan to whip out my boob in public every chance I get, so people can just get over it. ;)

 
At 1/09/2006 2:46 PM, Blogger Avery's mom said...

I'm dealing with the prospect of going back to work and balancing breastfeeding somehow. I believe colorado has something here. just wait till I tell my husband about it...he's dying to get out of tejas and wants to head to boulder (all his buddies are up there)

 
At 1/09/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

miriam - i agree that it's sad that the laws are needed, but i'm glad to see them getting put in place nonetheless. good for you for your future nursing in public. i've done it many times, but ever since ava started flailing around and bouncing from side to side while she nursed, i haven't felt comfortable with it anymore.

avery's mom - i hope things work out for you guys and you can continue to bf her. we're quite close to boulder. it's beautiful here. :)

 
At 1/10/2006 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always reassuring to see that people are finally beginning to come to their senses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home