Thursday, April 27, 2006

What a barfy night and a ? about chicken-style seitan

What a barfy night. Not for me (well, inadvertantly it was since I was on the receiving end of the barf), but for Ava.

Poor Ava was up off and on barfing from 2:30 to 7 a.m. It made for a very long night, especially since I went to bed already having a headache last night. Jody got up with us the first few times and helped clean up (which was good because those times were the messiest), but I let him sleep through the later dry heaves in the early morning. I wanted him to get *some* sleep before having to go to work this morning and I figured Ava and I would sleep in (which we did, til about 10:30).

It was so sad when she woke up a few times saying "no more throw up" because she knew it was coming again and then she'd heave some more. :(

I made a stirfry last night trying out "chicken" seitan for the first time and now I wonder if something was wrong with it. You may recall a similar situation happened to us with tempeh before.

So does anyone know what the White Wave Chicken-Style Seitan is supposed to look like out of the package? Should it resemble a block of tofu? That's what I was expecting it to look like, but mine was all broken up into chunks. The expiration date was in May and I just bought it yesterday so I figured it'd be fine, but I just didn't know what to expect. And I have to say that it tasted just fine too. Maybe her system just didn't like it because, other than my having a headache, Jody and I didn't have any reaction to it.

Thankfully she's been fine since about 7 this morning. No more puking and she woke up to her happy, energetic self. I asked her how her tummy was this morning and she replied, "pretty good." And she never ran a fever or had any other symptoms which is why I'm thinking she just had a bad reaction to dinner. Poor lil chickadee.

Of course this happens the day before we have plans to leave Ava with friends while Jody and I venture out to celebrate our anniversary which was last week. We have reservations at The Melting Pot and I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully Ava will continue to do well and we'll be ok to leave her tomorrow evening. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

4 Comments:

At 4/27/2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Primal Mama said...

Sorry Ava wasn't feeling well, I'm glad it passed , its no fun when the lil ones have the 'sickies' as we call them.

No advice on the chicken stuff as I have never used it :( But I always go by, if it looks ok, smells ok, tastes ok... must be ok rule, lol.

Hope you enjoy your dinner, I've always wanted to go there but haven't yet... :D

 
At 4/28/2006 12:07 AM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Yup I think the seitan is supposed to be chunks!

 
At 4/28/2006 3:27 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

dawn - thanks. she's better but not eating much of anything yet. i'm trying not to worry cuz she's still nursing. that's pretty much how i operate with the whole "if it looks ok, smells ok, tastes ok... must be ok rule" myself.
i'm sure i will post about the melting pot provided all goes well tonight w/ ava. i'm trying to get her to nap now, but she is resisting (of course, cuz we have plans).

jess - thanks! that's good to know that it wasn't bad.

 
At 4/30/2006 10:29 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Poor Ava!
Hope she feeling better soon.
I'm impressed she knows whats happening - Tim gives us very little warning. It just er... emerges! Yuk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home