Thursday, February 02, 2006

When tempeh goes bad, very bad

Along with the awesome hummus I made for dinner yesterday, I also made a tempeh, couscous, chard combination.

When I opened the package of tempeh, I thought the color looked a bit grey (but tempeh is normally pretty grayish, isn't it?). And since I don't have that much experience with tempeh and it didn't smell and didn't taste bad, I didn't give it a second thought.

I woke up around 3:30 a.m. with my stomach in what felt like very painful KNOTS. I went back and forth to the bathroom at least once an hour for the next five hours and eventually threw up. All the while my stomach was killing me.

I asked Jody to hang out at home for a bit when he got up for work because I didn't know how long I'd feel that way and I really needed some rest. He went to the store and got me some ginger ale which I could barely sip. Ugh. The stomach cramping was awful.

I finally started feeling better around 9 a.m. and slept another two hours.

The rest of the day I've been fine. A little pale, but pretty much back to normal stomach-wise.

I thought that Ava had avoided it since she hardly ate any of the tempeh yesterday, but instead was intent on devouring the hummus. ;)

Well, all was fine until about two hours ago, when she threw up all over the both of us. She's since thrown up about 4 more times - twice dousing our clothes. I have a
feeling this could be a long night.

Jody has so far escaped unscathed, though he has a much heartier constitution than I do. Lucky bastard. ;)

By the way, I checked out the tempeh, since we had leftovers in the fridge, and upon closer inspection, it appears there may have been mold starting to grow on it! *gag* Uh, no wonder I got sick. Anyway, the expiration date on the package was Feb. 5 so I wouldn't have even thought it possible that it would be bad. Guess I will be inspecting my tempeh a lot more closely (or avoiding it altogether) from now on.

Anyone else have problems with tempeh going bad?

Updated at 11:05 p.m. to add: I can't even count the number of times she's thrown up now. Ugh. The good thing (I guess) is that as soon as she's done puking she seems to be feeling absolutely fine again - running around like her crazy ol' self. So I keep thinking she's over it, but then she pukes again. *sigh* Hopefully this won't last all night. (Crossing my fingers)

10 Comments:

At 2/02/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

Oh dear, I really hope Ava feels better soon. That is so awful! I'm glad you got over it, even though you had a horrible night. What is that stuff anyway? I'm so sorry, it's so terrible to have a little one sick and there is nothing you can do about it.

 
At 2/03/2006 5:38 AM, Blogger Nelly said...

Oh man! That is horrible Amy! That is the worst. I hope she feels better soon and hope it didn't last all night.

 
At 2/03/2006 7:18 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

If a package is puffy I don't mess with it, but I wouldn't have known about the tempeh either.

I am so sorry! I hope everyone feels better soon!

 
At 2/03/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! How awful and miserable for you and Ava. At least she feels better after throwing up and I hope you all get well quickly.

 
At 2/03/2006 1:39 PM, Blogger Mama T said...

Awww, I hope you and little Ava are feeling better...here is a site for you to check out:
http://www.tempeh.ca/FAQs.htm
I've never had it.
Have a good weekend!

 
At 2/03/2006 3:04 PM, Blogger Isil Simsek said...

Sorry, hope you all are feeling better now. Have a nice weekend!

 
At 2/03/2006 6:13 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry. Would you like me to boycott tempeh for a while? I know it naturally discolors but man that is scary.

 
At 2/03/2006 11:39 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Tiffiny - Tempeh is fermented cooked soybeans. Kinda like tofu, but fermented. It's pretty tasty, but after all of this, I'm afraid of it.

Nelly and R2Ks - Thank you.

Amy - Yeah, it hasn't been a very good past couple of days. She's still not back to normal. Poor thing.

Tonja - Thank you and thanks for the link.

Isil - Thanks. I think we'll be lying low this weekend.

Jess - Thank you, but no, you don't have to boycott tempeh for me. ;) I know how much you like to eat it. I am glad you haven't had any problems with it yourself. Gives me hope.

 
At 4/07/2008 7:02 PM, Blogger Walter Bean said...

Just so you know, I found your blog because I think I ate some bad tempeh last night too. The package was out of date by about a week but I figured it was fine. The same thing happened with the discoloration but them smell was fine. When I tasted it, it was a little different but it was a different company too so I thought that was the only different.

This morning things turned out different. I must have a stomach made of steel because I didn't throw up but I wanted too. Instead I had cramps that instantly brought me to my knees followed by the intense rush to go to the bathroom and just wait.

I will NEVER do that again. From now on it's tempeh that's within a month of the expiration date.

 
At 8/04/2018 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just about to cook tempeh that expired over a month ago bc I figured it would only ferment more and and probably better like wine? After reading this NO WAY! Thank you guys and thank you internet 🙏🏽

 

Post a Comment

<< Home