Monday, April 10, 2006

Off to the dentist (and other stuff)

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I haven't been to the dentist for a cleaning in over 2 years *gasp* - since before Ava was born.

I grew up going to the dentist for cleanings every 6 months without fail. Mom was very good about that. It was something I kept up for the most part after I left home. I prided myself on not having a single cavity until I was in my late 20s and was shocked when it finally happened.

Anyway, my regular dental appointments were easy to keep up, that is, until I had Ava. It seems once you become a mommy, you don't always take the time for necessary upkeep for yourself that you need to. I know I should have gone, but then there was a change in our insurance and we didn't have coverage at *that* dentist anymore, and I just let it go from there.

Well, as a result of my lackadaisical attitude, I think I now have more than a few cavities. :(

It's not that I haven't taken care of my teeth since then - I still brush and floss regularly - but I really think the professional cleanings make a good deal of difference.

I bring all of this up because I finally made myself an appointment and am going for a cleaning tomorrow (Tues.) morning. I've never been afraid of the dentist or had any worries about going there, but I admit I'm a bit afraid of what they may find tomorrow. However, I know it's better to get in there sooner than later, before any problems I may have worsen.

I'll keep ya posted. ;)

--------------------------------------------

In other news, had a nice weekend here. Went back to the dairy farm on Saturday and saw the goats again. Then had a yummy lunch of Chinese food and hung out at Jody's work (the place was empty) and played a round of pool. Jody won. :oP On Sunday I had a maternity photoshoot for a friend, which went pretty well. Didn't do much for the rest of the day, other than spend some time outside because it was gorgeous out, but that was cool with me. Oh, and I made my own marinara sauce (yum!) using fresh tomatoes and we had pasta (that Barilla Plus brand which is really good) for dinner.

Today, after a trip to Vitamin Cottage for some groceries, I tried out a recipe for Black Bean and Sweet Potato (with Kale) Enchiladas from my "Vegetarian Mother" cookbook. Got to use up some of the veggies we got from our Door to Door organics delivery this morning. :) I even made my own enchilada sauce! I took some pics, but I have to admit it wasn't as delicious as I hoped it would be. It was good, but just not *WOW* good. I may post the pics and recipe another day.

That's all for now.

3 Comments:

At 4/11/2006 3:16 AM, Blogger Nelly said...

I hear ya on the dentist! I haven't been in 1 1/2 years. Never seem to have the time. Enjoy the nice weather!

 
At 4/11/2006 9:02 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

Ever since my sister showed me how to make enchilada sauce, I never buy the canned stuff again.

Dental work has to wait for Thailand visits because we have no insurance and it's cheap quality work there. Had 2 wisdom teeth extracted a few weeks before we left for only $100. And that was cause they were impacted too!

Good that you're going, take advantage of that opportunity! Has Ava seen a dentist yet?

 
At 4/11/2006 6:31 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Thanks for all the well wishes. :) It wasn't as bad as I expected. I have some decay, but my gums were in better shape this time than they were over 2 years ago. It seems flossing every day REALLY DOES help! :)

Nelly - You should get yourself back in there before too much time passes. ;)

Amy - I'd love your enchilada sauce recipe some time. The one I made was good, but a little too thick. Might need more water next time.
Ava hasn't been to a dentist yet, but that's something I plan to get on soon since she's getting close to age 2 now. Yikes! Where did the time go??

Rowan - That's great that you have such good teeth/gums. Jody is the same way, even if he doesn't brush.
Hope you can find a new goat soon. :)
And thx for the recipe. I will chk it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home