Monday, April 24, 2006

Much-needed revisions considered

Good news for parents of breast-fed babies who are concerned their little ones aren't gaining enough weight. "The World Health Organization is to issue new guidelines on measuring the growth rates of babies.

"Current charts are based on calculations using the growth patterns of babies fed largely on formula milk from 20 years ago.

But bottle-fed babies put on weight more quickly than those that are breast-fed, meaning breast-fed children could be shown as underweight.

The new recommended charts are based on data from breast-fed babies."

Here's the whole story: Baby growth charts to be revised

I know several of my friends will be excited about this because it seemed like their breast-fed babies weren't measuring up on the growth charts. I was lucky in that it wasn't an issue with Ava as she was always at the top of the charts, though I am sure I would've obsessed about it if she'd been on the opposite end of the spectrum.

It's good to see this revision is being considered. I'm sure it will help put many parents' minds at ease that their babies are growing just fine on mama's milk. :)

3 Comments:

At 4/25/2006 8:34 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

That's some good news. Aidan never looked chubby, he even had a few ribs showing -- the only fat on him was his cheeks but at least he was never underweight. I figured he finished nursing when he was full so I didn't worry about it.

 
At 4/25/2006 9:38 PM, Blogger gosonja said...

I am one of those mamas. We struggle with things every day. It will be interesting to look at the chart and compare Annies weight retrospectively!
Thanks for this Amy!

 
At 4/26/2006 12:05 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Glad this info was helpful. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home