Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Stuff n things

Haven't had time to blog lately, but I figured a little recap was in order, so here goes...

Ava officially learned to jump (with BOTH feet off the ground at the same time last night)! It was pretty exciting for all of us. :)

I've been busy proofing my two photo sessions from this weekend. Neither went as well as I would've liked (mostly weather-related problems), but I rolled with the punches and am pleased with several of the pictures. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to posting a little gallery from some of my recent shoots.

The weather was gorgeous today, so, after running some errands, Ava and I spent a good deal of time playing in the backyard along with the dogs. It's nice to see spring has returned (at least for now). :)

We've been dealing with a major infestation of mice in our garage for the past few weeks. I won't get into too many details but after trying many ways of getting rid of them without killing them (catch and release traps - they got out of, those sonic noise things that are supposed to make mice leave the premises - which hasn't bothered them in the least, etc.), we have had to resort to more drastic measures (some kind of poison "food" that causes them to fall into a coma and die, because neither of us could bear the thought of using actual mouse traps). *Gulp* It sucks and I feel horrible about it, but I think there are at least 15 of them out there and 15 mice make a LOT of poop and a BIG mess which certainly can't be healthy for us. So Jody's been taking care of all of that, both setting out the "food" and cleaning up the ridiculous mess of poop they've left us. Thank God.
Looks like I went into more detail than I'd originally planned. Oops.

I'm sure there are those of you out there who think this is absolutely cruel and horrible for us to do, but I ask that you keep your comments to yourselves. I feel bad about resorting to killing them, but I honestly value the health of my family more than I do the health of rodents. Sorry. :(

That's all I have time for right now. Must find something to make for dinner while the little one naps. Eww. The thought of food doesn't sound appetizing after all that talk about mice. Gah.

10 Comments:

At 3/28/2006 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try not to feel too badly. It is a difficult situation, but you have exhausted non-lethal options and you do need to put your family first. Good luck.

P.S. It's me; I couldn't stay away for long...

 
At 3/28/2006 8:22 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

elizabeth - thank you. now i'm just starting to wonder if these "food" stuff is going to kill them or not. they seem like such fiesty critters! oy.
and i must say i'm glad to have you back in the blogosphere. :) welcome back!

 
At 3/28/2006 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my sympathy. I hate mice. Hopefully the "food" stuff will get rid of them. Sometimes they can make nests in the walls and there are a lot more living than what you can actually see. If the food doesn't get them, I'd get an exterminator. It isn't worth the risk to your family. Good luck!

 
At 3/29/2006 7:10 AM, Blogger Nelly said...

Ewwwwww! Yucky! I can't even imagine how much poo is in your garage. Good riddins to them!

 
At 3/29/2006 9:25 AM, Blogger Info for you said...

What about a cat? One of ours found one in our furnace room UGH!! He was nice enough to take it outside too! :)

Hope your problem gets taken care of soon.

 
At 3/29/2006 9:51 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Anon - I really have no idea how many there are, but I do know they've made their home in the (uncovered) insulation out there and so there could be a LOT up in there. That's a good idea about the exterminator. I'm going to look into one just in case this "food" stuff doesn't work. We've already put out two packages and, as of yesterday, Jody didn't see any dead mice in the garage yet.

Nelly - Yes, it was nasty before J cleaned it up. Ugh.

Camille - That's a thought but we don't have a cat and I'm allergic to them. Though our neighbor has one and there were two dead mice in our front yard yesterday. And I noticed the cat lingering around a bit so I'm sure it got to them. I'm not sure what a cat would do with that many mice though. Our dogs actually killed three of them on their own before we started the live traps and the poison "food." But we aren't letting them go out there now.

 
At 3/29/2006 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn, I was going to suggest the cat too (we live out in horse country, and have problems here with mice too. Our cat takes care of the problem.)

I have to comment on the jumping -- how fun! My daughter learned out to jump recently and it's so fun to watch. She looks like she's in a mosh pit! I bet Ava looks so cute. I hope you get a picture soon!

 
At 3/29/2006 2:17 PM, Blogger Avery's mom said...

be supper careful using that poison around Ava,
sounds like a cat might be an easy solution to this trouble with rodents.

 
At 3/29/2006 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohmygawd, I can't believe you keeled poor innocent lil mice!They are just cold and hungry and wanting to raise a happy lil family...




sorry, couldn't resist :D

We have mice out here pretty bad too, and all the non-lethal ways didn't work for us either, so we had to resort to the poison stuff as well, it certainly works, but then you gotta find the lil beasts after they "expire". :(

When I lived in IL, there was a farmer that lived in our town (very small like 1200 people max) anyway when he tore down a pig pen and the entire town was infested with RATS! it was awful. Now those are evil and I get shivers thinking about them again, ick.

anyway, that is so cute with Ava jumping, Elliana recently learned that too and now she "jumps" everywhere. Walking? nah walking is for babies, big girls jump, lol.

Gosh, I wrote a book!
ok, slinking back to my own blog now :D

 
At 3/29/2006 10:26 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Patti - How cute of your daughter. :) How old is she?

Avery's mom - Thank you for the reminder, but yes, we're being very careful. The poison is only in the garage and Ava never goes out there.

Dawn - So how did you find the critters after they "expired"? It's getting awfully quiet in the garage and I found two more dead ones in the front yard today so I'm wondering if the rest have passed on in the garage. I don't know how Jody is going to find them to collect them all. Oy.
Very fun about Ellie, though jumping everywhere has to slow a big girl down a bit. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home