Monday, March 20, 2006

Dreams and cleaning

I had a dream about some old friends (and a former friend) last night. This time they were all going on a cruise without me, but I heard about it or was invited or something at the last minute so I decided to hang out with them for a bit. I didn't buy a ticket for the cruise so I could only stay on the boat until it was about to leave the port. (Weird.) Anyway, I don't remember much about it, but it seems like me and my former friend were able to work out some of our issues, though it was definitely awkward and strange.

I am sure I dreamt about this because I recently learned that the old gang is getting together for a trip to visit one of our mutual friends. We all did the trip together last year, but since then, me and the one friend had a major falling out (that I, to this day, still don't understand) and so they are going without me this year. (Which is fine by the way. No hard feelings to any parties involved.)

Anyway, despite the several inches of snow we have on the ground, I was doing some spring cleaning today and came across this big tote box thing full of paraphernalia from planning my wedding. I have about 6 wedding planning books as well as several wedding/bride magazines, a slew of receipts from our wedding stuff, a bajillion wedding and shower cards and all kinds of notes relating to our wedding. In addition to this, I found "souvenirs" from friends' weddings - including about 10 programs, a handful of napkins and matches and a bottle of bubbles from the one friend that I had the falling out with. I'm not sure why I saved all that stuff (I can see one program, but 10??!), but, for a number of reasons, I couldn't see holding onto it any longer. I parted with a bunch of MY wedding stuff (our recycle bin will be full of paper this week!) and plan to donate all of my books and magazines (God willing, I'll never need those again!), so I parted with her wedding memorabilia as well.

I'm not sure how this all ties in together, but it felt good to get some cleaning done today, even if it was a very small dent in the huge amount of stuff I need to go through. It felt sort of like an emotional cleansing too. First I had the dream that things had been patched up with this friend and then I physically removed some of the stuff related to her from my life. Not saying that I want her out of my life, but I think fresh starts are always good.

10 Comments:

At 3/20/2006 10:51 PM, Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

(It's Leslie- via Miriam...)
I feel the same about the "spring cleaning" and I just did the same thing on Saturday. It felt really good to get things out of my home that had some sort of ties, emotional or whatever they may have been. It feels great now, and I believe that I should do this every so often (more than I do) because it is more than just a physical cleaning of the home.

 
At 3/20/2006 11:47 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

Ah, spring cleaning. It's good for the soul too! :)

 
At 3/21/2006 4:39 AM, Blogger Nelly said...

I knew you would eventually read my post about going to Kansas. I can imagine that it would be hard to read about us going there again and not including you. We both know it just wouldn't work out if we all went again. Although I am grateful for the trip we did take together with our kids last year.

Glad to hear you were able to do some cleaning Amy!

 
At 3/21/2006 3:27 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Leslie - Thanks for stopping in again. :) Good for you on your cleaning. I totally agree that this is something I need to do on a semi-regular basis. I've been letting stuff pile up over the years and now it's just ridiculously overwhelming.

Tiffiny - It really is! :)

Nelly - Yeah, it was a bit of a blow to read it on your blog along with the rest of the "world" rather than to be told about it by you or someone else privately, but I'm over it. :)
I agree that it wouldn't work for me to go for more reasons than one, and I really do hope you all have a nice time. :) I'll watch your blog for pics.

 
At 3/21/2006 4:42 PM, Blogger Nelly said...

I guess I wasn't thinking. (no surprise there!) I apologize for not e-mailing ya about it. I think I need to take some lessons on sensitivity! No hard feelin's?

 
At 3/21/2006 5:25 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

nelly - don't sweat it. no hard feelings.

 
At 3/22/2006 6:09 AM, Blogger Nelly said...

Thanks "sizzle!"

 
At 3/22/2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Avery's mom said...

I still hang onto my Girlfriends glove from prom over 10 years ago though its been at least 8 years since we've talked....guess maybe I should do some "cleaning" myself. I'm just so sentimental

 
At 3/22/2006 5:30 PM, Blogger gosonja said...

I just finished doing my cleaning before putting our house on the market and I came across a box of stuff from and old boyfriend. Ouch!! I went through it, reminised, and tossed it, it felt good. I did however save a picture of me where I looked especially thin for inspiration. I cut the x out of it though...so high school!!

 
At 3/22/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Avery's mom - I'm totally sentimental as well, but I'm trying (for practicality's sake) to get over it a little bit. It just gets to be too much when you want to save everything. ;)

Sonja - OMG, I am sure I have stuff from old boyfriends lurking around here too. Eep! Maybe I'll actually toss them out this time if I come across them in my cleaning frenzy. ;)
Funny about cutting your ex out of the pic. hehe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home