Monday, January 16, 2006

Vegetarian Chili Recipe

A new friend of mine made this veggie chili for a holiday potluck I attended in December. The chili was sooo good that I emailed her to get the recipe and try it out myself. Turns out she doesn't really follow a recipe, but kind of makes it up as she goes. However she was happy to give me a list of the ingredients and approximate amounts. I made some slight adjustments when I made it for dinner last night, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. It was delicious.

Vegetarian Chili

One Chopped Red Bell Pepper
One Chopped Green Bell Pepper
One Chopped Yellow Bell Pepper
One Hot Pepper (Jalapeno)
One can black beans (drained)
One can pinto (great if you can find them already in chili sauce) -
drained
Tempeh (cut into cubes)
One large can of whole tomatoes (I used chopped tomatoes)
One small can of tomato paste - for thickness (I only added a few spoonfuls)
Chili Powder - (I used a teaspoon)
Cayenne Pepper - (I used a couple shakes)


You can throw this all into the crockpot and let it cook throughout the day. I didn't have time for that since I didn't start dinner til 5, so I put it into a large pot. I cooked it on the stovetop over medium-high heat for about 30 to 40 minutes, until the peppers softened.

I found the chili to be quite thick, so I added in a cup of water at the end to thin it out.



We garnished it with plain yogurt and shredded cheese, however this could easily be a vegan recipe without the garnishes. :)



It makes about 6 or 7 servings.

Yummy!!

10 Comments:

At 1/16/2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Jody said...

The only thing wrong w/ the '6 or 7 servings' is that you want to eat em all up in one setting. How many helpings did Amy have? I'll never tell.

 
At 1/16/2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

I'm not ashamed. It was damn good. ;) I ate about 2 1/4 servings last night with dinner. And then I had some for lunch today too. :oP

 
At 1/16/2006 5:22 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

That looks amazing. I've been contemplating making chili for a couple days and this seems to have sealed the deal...keep posting great photos!

 
At 1/16/2006 6:21 PM, Blogger Nelly said...

Holy cow does that look good! I may have to try this!

 
At 1/16/2006 10:06 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

That sounds incredible!

 
At 1/16/2006 11:35 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Sconed - Thanks for visiting and glad to help 'seal the deal.' You won't be sorry. :)

Nelly - Thanks! It's reallllly good.

R2Ks - *Nods emphatically*

 
At 1/17/2006 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep seeing chili everywhere these days. I'm really going to have to break down and make some - this looks great! Time to go soak some beans. :)

 
At 1/17/2006 2:47 PM, Blogger Harmonia said...

This looks amazing! I, as Miriam, have been seeing Chili everywhere and have been pondering making some, I think I will...another dish is Goulash...hope to make that for dinner tomorrow.

:)

 
At 1/17/2006 4:59 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Miriam and Harmonia - hope you both enjoy your chili dinners. :)

 
At 1/17/2006 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely delicious. I make chili every week in the fall and winter. It is great to see old ingredients that I'd forgotten about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home