Friday, January 13, 2006

Let's talk about food

I've been inspired by many of my blogging friends to start creating some recipes of my own and posting them on my blog. Here is the first of what I hope will be many successful attempts at whipping up something new and tasty. :)

Yammy Pasta
Sauce:
1/2 of a 40 oz. can of yams (drained)
6 oz. can of tomato paste
1 C cream (though you could substitute soy milk easily enough)
approx. 1/4 C frozen chopped onions
approx. 2 C frozen chopped spinach
a couple shakes of Pumpkin Pie spice (which is just cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)
a couple shakes of cayenne pepper
approx. 1 T brown sugar
Pasta:
Whole Wheat Pasta

Mash yams. Mix everything else in. Heat on stovetop until hot.
Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
Place yam mixture on top of pasta. Sprinkle parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (I would have if I had it) on top. Serve.

Makes about 5 servings.



I also found that you can add some soy milk to the mixture (without the pasta) to water it down a bit and make it into a soup, which was how Ava liked to eat it. I should clarify. She ate it only after making sure she spread some in her belly button and all over her chest. Glad I took her clothes off for this meal. ;)

Anyway, I thought it was pretty tasty and seemed like a good combo of veggies. I can only assume that Ava liked it. ;) I wish I could give you Jody's take on it, but he hasn't had any yet. He's been out of town on business the past few days and gets home tonight. Yay! I'll be sure and have him test out some of the leftovers.

Now let's talk about Tings.
I've had a few people inquire as to what exactly Tings are, so here's a pic to give ya an idea. (Don't say I never did nothin' for ya.) ;)

They remind me of Cheetos, but don't have any cheese in them. (They are actually a vegan food.) However they do have nutritional yeast, which has a cheese-like taste to it. I recently found a Yeast Meets West website listing all of the benefits of nutritional yeast and I have to say, I'm quite impressed.
Nutritional yeast contains 18 amino acids (forming the complete protein) and 15 minerals. Being rich in the B-complex vitamins, it is vital in many ways and particularly good for stress reduction. The B-complex vitamins help make nutritional yeast such a valuable supplement, especially to the vegetarian. It is one of the rare vegetarian sources of B12.
One element of yeast is the trace mineral chromium, also known as the Glucose Tolerance Factor (GTF). This is necessary to regulate blood sugar and is important for diabetics and people with a tendency toward low blood sugar.
So not only are Tings a yummy snack, they are good for ya too. :) I have to add that Ava LOVES them.

8 Comments:

At 1/14/2006 7:19 AM, Blogger Isil Simsek said...

Yams are not grown here, I don't have any idea about them but it looks tasty!

 
At 1/14/2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

isil - thanks. wow, that's interesting about the yams. you are in turkey, right?

 
At 1/14/2006 9:23 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I am in love with Tings. I may have to leave SOS for them. Your dish looks yammy, I mean yummy :)

 
At 1/15/2006 9:05 AM, Blogger Isil Simsek said...

Yes, I'm from Turkey (Istanbul).
I googled yams, they look like potatoes ;)

 
At 1/15/2006 10:49 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Isil - Yep, they are sweet potatoes. :)

Gina - Veggie booty is a mainstay in our house too.

 
At 1/15/2006 10:50 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

R2Ks - Hee, hee. Look out SOS! And thank you.

 
At 1/18/2006 12:48 AM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

I'm a Ting Head Mon! :)

I saw these at Whole Foods before I went on vacation. I bought them thinking of you. I read the back and it took me forever to realize that it's written with a Jamacian accent. Duh! ;) That's exactly how I would describe them, just like Cheetos. That's what I told my friend. My daugther loves them, and I'm so happy becuase now I can give her these instead of Cheetos. They really are good!

 
At 1/18/2006 4:49 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Tiffiny - LOL that it took ya a while to figure out the jamaican accent, mon! ;) Glad you and seren like them. They are addictive! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home