Sunday, January 15, 2006

Swimming and yummy food shopping - weekend recap

It was nice, laidback weekend around here.

On Friday, Ava and I went to a friend of our's 2nd birthday party at the rec center. We had snacks and cupcakes and then all went swimming. Ava got to wear her new bathing suit (which I must say is super cute on her). She was a bit apprehensive about going in the water at first. The kiddie pool was really crowded when we first got there. It seemed school let out early that day or something because there were a LOT of kids there. But it thinned out a bit and Ava ventured in on her own time. Once she got in the water, she had a lot of fun splashing around, cheering kids on as they went down the little slide, and even went down the slide a few times herself (while holding mama's hand). I think we'll have to get her swimming more often. The last time we went was over the summer at an outdoor pool. It had been too long!

Friday night, Jody got back from San Francisco, where he'd been for three days on business. He had a good time and got to see the city a bit this time and wants us all to go back there sometime so he can show me and Ava around. I don't know if that will happen anytime soon, but it would be nice to go someday. I've never been to California.

On Saturday we did very little. Stayed home, washed diapers. Jody attempted to fix our dishwasher which is no longer draining. Ugh. Hmmm, not much else.

Today we went grocery shopping at Wild Oats (a natural foods store), where I got a variety of foods to make some new (to me) vegetarian recipes this week. :) The store is a bit of a drive for us - about 30 min. away - but I seemed to do pretty good with the amount of food I bought for the money I paid so it was worth it. I hate that organic foods cost so much more than conventional, but like someone previously said, you pay for it now, or pay for it later. I'm pretty excited to try out these new recipes (some which came from Running2Ks and Miriam).

For dinner tonight I made vegetarian chili using a recipe a new friend gave me. It turned out really good. I'll post the recipe this week. :)

Tonight we watched Desperate Housewives and "Hitch" and now are about to call it a night.

I think I'm getting (or have) a cold. I started with a sore throat yesterday and have had a bit of a runny nose today. I've been using Zicam (anyone have any luck with that?) today and hope it helps me get rid of the cold fast.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I have a bit more to write about, but I'll save that for later. :) G'night.

9 Comments:

At 1/16/2006 4:48 AM, Blogger Nelly said...

My two LOVE the water! Oh my gosh! Glad to hear Ava ventured in. You should definitely take her more often, she'll love it.

 
At 1/16/2006 8:41 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

I *LOVED* that movie, Hitch. It was really cute.

Also, take Jody's advice. I live about 20 minutes from San Francisco (without traffic of course) and it is a BEAUTIFUL city. Unfortunately, he may have been here when it was raining. Both Golf and I used to live in SF before we ment. It was so fun! We plan to go into the city this coming weekend for Chinese New Year festivities and I will post some pictures. :)

 
At 1/16/2006 10:27 AM, Blogger Julie said...

http://veganmenu.blogspot.com/

Saw that site and thought of you. It's up for a BoB award, so I'm thinking it's probably pretty good. I skimmed it and it looks pretty informative.

 
At 1/16/2006 10:48 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I had more luck with ColdEeze (love the bubblegum balls) and even Airborne. But if you caught it early enough, Zicam can help. So can echinacea and C and some of the Traditional Medicinals teas.

 
At 1/16/2006 10:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just looked at your store - AWESOME! I will definitely be ordering from you in the future. Thanks for helping to promote awareness on all fronts of child-rearing: co-sleeping, breastfeeding, treating children gently . . . THANKS!

 
At 1/16/2006 12:59 PM, Blogger Harmonia said...

I wish we had a Wild Oats Store here. Oh! I liked the movie HITCH...cute!!! I loved the way that guy danced!!! LOL

Glad you had a nice weekend!

:)

 
At 1/16/2006 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After seeing that picture of Ava in the fairy costume, I can only imagine how adorable she'd be in a swimsuit!

Sounds like you are doing great cooking with and without recipes. Good for you!

As for the cold - anytime I feel even the tiniest bit of that "run down" feeling, I mash up 6 or 7 cloves of fresh garlic, and throw it into a light broth. Drink/sip immediately. You'll have severe garlic breath, and wake up completely cured the next day. :) Also helpful - brewing fresh ginger in hot water for 10-15 minuets and drinking it.

Hope you feel better!

 
At 1/16/2006 3:43 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

nelly - glad the kids enjoy the swimming. i have such fond memories of swimming from when i was a kid, i hope that ava will like it as well.

amy - if $ were no object, we'd make plans to go out there this summer. but unfortunately, $ is a big object. ;) maybe we can hook up if we do make it out there. :)

julie - thanks for that link! the foods on there all look soooo good. :)

R2ks - i've tried the coldeeze lozenges before and didn't like them. they made my throat burn. will have to seek out the bubblegum balls.

organic veggie - thank you! :) i'm glad you like it.

harmonia - wild oats is pretty nice. i still wish we had a trader joe's though. ;) *sigh* do you have any health food stores?

miriam - thanks. i'm making one of your recipes (the pseudo-indian food) for dinner tonight. it will be our first time having swiss chard.
thanks for the cold tips. i just made myself some ginger tea. if i'm still crummy tomorrow i might try the garlic drink. thx! :)

 
At 1/17/2006 2:48 PM, Blogger Harmonia said...

Heck, we don't hae a Trader Joe's either!!! The closest Whole Foods Place is over an hour away! BLAH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home