Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Recipes - Indian food and Chocolate-covered peanut butter balls

I made Miriam's "Pseudo-Indian Dinner" for dinner the other night. It was my first time cooking with or eating Swiss Chard and I have to say, I really like it! :)

This is Miriam's recipe, but I added in amounts that I used of everything because I'm anal like that ;) and it will help me to make it again the next time.

Pseudo-Indian Dinner

3 cloves garlic
2 T olive oil
1/2 C chopped onion
2 C water
1 large potato chopped
1 can garbanzo beans
2 large spoons of tomato paste
1/2 t cumin
1 t coriander
1/2 t tumeric
2 t curry powder
3 shakes red pepper flakes
1 bunch freshly chopped red swiss chard

Sautee garlic and onion in olive oil.
Add water, potato, garbanzo beans, spices and tomato paste.
Once potatoes are softened, stir in the chard. Allow chard to cook until softened.


Serve over quinoa (Miriam's idea) or brown rice (my idea) or basmati rice (thought that would be tasty for future reference). Sprinkle with lemon juice.



Thanks for the delicious recipe, Miriam! :)

And now for the scrumptious dessert - Chocolate-covered peanut butter balls!

Running2Ks got this from the book "Sinfully Vegan" and it can be a vegan recipe if you use vegan chocolate chips. Since we aren't vegan though, I just used regular chocolate chips.

Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Balls


- 1 cup peanut butter (I used natural, organic peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Approximately 3/4th of a 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips (can use vegan chocolate chips to make the recipe vegan-friendly)
Blend the peanut butter, pumpkin and powdered sugar in a food processor (or mix well in a bowl). Form into small balls and place on wax paper; freeze 30 minutes or until hard.
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stove.
Using a wooden toothpick, dip the frozen balls into the melted chocolate. Place back onto the wax paper and put back into the freezer until chocolate has hardened.
Enjoy!




I took some of these with me to our AP group's moms' night out get-together last night and they were a big, big hit. :) Jody loves them too and was bummed I didn't bring any home. I told him there were 4 leftover, but I left them with the hostess because I knew if they came into the car with me, I'd eat them all on the drive home. ;) They are really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe, R2Ks!

9 Comments:

At 1/19/2006 3:20 PM, Blogger Isil Simsek said...

I'm craving for chocolate in the middle of the night, just because of you ;)

 
At 1/19/2006 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe. Thanks for making a recipe out of it - that looks really good! :)

And the chocolate balls - my, you are so neat and meticulous. Those look really good! I don't have that kind of patience to work with gooey stuff.

 
At 1/19/2006 5:05 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Miriam's recipe looks awesome. SOS is totally into Indian food lately.

And yeah--those "balls" came out so much neater than mine :)

 
At 1/19/2006 8:42 PM, Blogger Moosekahl said...

Those look super yummy. I may have to try both this weekend

 
At 1/19/2006 11:08 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

isil - hope that didn't cause you to lose sleep. ;)

miriam - no, no, thank you. :) it was delicious. and i thought the choco balls looked messy.

r2ks - you should give miriam's recipe a try. it's really good. the nice thing about those balls is it doesn't matter how neat or messy they look because they taste so damn good. ;)

moosekahl - thx for stopping by my blog. hope you enjoy the food! :)

 
At 1/20/2006 9:03 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

YUMMY! Each look so delicious and nutricious! My 2 biggest weaknesses with chocolate are when it is combined with either peanut butter or with mint. Are you a chunky PB or a creamy PB lover? I like the creamy. :)

 
At 1/20/2006 12:12 PM, Blogger Harmonia said...

YUM! And Double YUM!

 
At 1/21/2006 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,Amy,those peanut butter balls look delicious. I will have to try that recipe. I have one that your grandma (my Mom) used to make, but she called them "Buckeyes". Good memories. I love peanut butter and chocolate, and the addition of pumpkin adds those antioxidants we all need. Yum, Yum.

 
At 1/21/2006 8:40 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Amy - Chocolate and peanut butter combined are a big weakness of mine too. I can go either way - creamy or crunchy - but I guess I prefer creamy a bit more and that's what I used for the recipe.

Harmonia - I couldn't agree more. :)

Mom - A friend of mine was saying she remembers them being called "Buckeyes" too. Though I think that was without the pumpkin. They are delicious. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home