Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Excited about my photography class

I decided to use the money I received from Christmas (thank you, moms & dads!!) to sign up for an online photography course. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while now to help hone my skills and build my confidence.

This particular course has received rave reviews on the photography forum I regularly visit and I was very excited to get started.

I'm also happy to have a buddy to take the course with. A while back on the photog forum, a bunch of us signed up to be paired with a buddy who was at the same (roughly) skill level as us. So me and my buddy Laura (who lives in the northeast) are taking the course together. It will be nice to have someone to turn to for support or to give me a kick in the pants to get out and take pics and practice. ;)

Anyway, I read through the first lesson and already learned a few things that will be SUPER VALUABLE to me in my work.

I did a bit of practicing on Ava with my new skills (shooting in manual mode and using the in camera meter to meter for exposure) and came up with this pic (which I converted to b&w in Photoshop).
She's got a messy face cuz she was strapped in her booster seat eating lunch. (How else do you expect me to get her to sit mostly still and not run away from the camera? LOL)

I still have to work on my "assignment" (taking pics of several things outside using different manual settings) for lesson one but I haven't had the time yet. I'm hoping to get to it this week so I can move on to lesson 2. :)

10 Comments:

At 1/17/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I am so happy for you. You found a class that fits your hectic schedule, and it looks like it will be fun to boot.

Plus, the lovely and beautiful Ava will surely enjoy all of the pictures from her youth.

 
At 1/17/2006 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a darling baby!! Isn't Photography addictiv? Good luck with your class. What websites do you use? Good luck!! Keep attaching photos of sweet Ava.

 
At 1/17/2006 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how good for you, Amy! I am so happy for you.
You have such natural talent. I can't wait to see it honed to experienced skill.

 
At 1/18/2006 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful for you! You really are talented (and I think you have the perfect human subject to practice on. :) I hope the class is great and you learn a lot!

 
At 1/18/2006 9:03 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

Looks like your class is already paying off -- you're so talented!

 
At 1/18/2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

R2Ks - yeah, having the class online helps so much. i don't think i'd be able to go to a class in-person.

karen - thanks! yes, it's very addictive and lots of fun. :) i like http://www.ilp.tlcwe.com/forums/ and have learned a lot there.

rowan - thank you :) i appreciate it!

miriam - thanks! i have a feeling i will learn a lot from this class and that's what i signed up for. :)

amy - thank you :)

 
At 1/19/2006 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I love that photo!

And ya know, I didn't even notice anything on her face until you said it, ;)

If you ever get tired of practicing on Ava (as if you would! shes beautiful!) you can come practice on Ellie, haha.

 
At 1/19/2006 4:57 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

dawn - thank you. :)
maybe i could do some practice pics with ellie this spring.

 
At 1/25/2006 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos! I really love when you post them, so keep them coming, I'd love to see your assignments as you go through! (Plus keep the maternity and baby ones coming, from a hormone-ridden peggo, these are the best!)

Thanks for sharing your talents,
Anna

 
At 1/25/2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Thank you for commenting, Anna. :) My assignment photos (at least for the first lesson) are pretty boring so far, but I might post some as the pictures get more interesting.
I should be posting some new maternity pics from a friend's session later this week. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home