Friday, December 09, 2005

So excited!

Let me start off by saying it's hard finding good babysitting options for your child when you don't have any family nearby and your closest friends live at least 30 minutes away.

Because of our lack of options, I can count on ONE HAND the number of times Jody and I have gone out together as a couple, without Ava, since she was born.

We've been to ONE movie when my parents and sister were visiting for Christmas LAST YEAR.

We tried to go to Jody's company holiday party last year and leave 6-month-old Ava with our good friends (Brandy, Dax and their son Creed who's 7 months older than Ava), but she started bawling about 5 minutes after we left and I went back to get her right after I got the call that she wouldn't calm down despite everything they tried. So that doesn't really count.

We've also run a couple of errands together (so not exactly a date) when family were in town or while visiting family.

That's it. No monthly date nights for us, not even quarterly date nights. And that's been fine. We definitely lived, but I think it would've been nice to have a few more times to go out together just the two of us.

Anyway, that brings me to why I'm so excited!

We're going to attempt to go to Jody's holiday party again this year and leave Ava with the same friends we left her with last year. So today Ava and I went over there for a dry run. We hung out for a little while, then I told her I was going to the store, kissed her good-bye, and I left. She wasn't concerned in the least.

I was gone for an hour (did a little shopping for myself and bought an outfit to wear to J's work party and to another holiday party our Cherished Children API group is having the next night, because all of my dressy clothes are too big). Brandy said Ava asked for me about 10 minutes after I left. She told her I went to the store and would be back in a while. And Ava was TOTALLY FINE! She played with Creed and Dax (who was home for the afternoon) and had a grand ol' time. No tears, no crying at all. What a relief!

I think she did so well because she's older now and can understand that mommy will be back and since she's interested in toys and playing with other kids now it's easier for her to be distracted and have things to do.

So I'm very excited that Jody and I will be able to go to this holiday party (alone!) next weekend. I don't think we'll have anything to worry about with Ava this time. Hip, Hip, Hooray! :)

8 Comments:

At 12/09/2005 3:58 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

YAY! That is the same reason we don't go out, but we have the very rare time friends watch the kids. It is a real treat.

 
At 12/09/2005 5:10 PM, Blogger Spookygirl said...

Doesn't it feel good to know that you did such a good job as a mama, that your kids don't even need you?? LOL! I am having the same thing, with Danielle having to go with Grandma and Grandpa while I have her brother. We did a trial run, and she stayed VOLUNTARIALY, for 3 nights with them!!! Didn't even miss her mama at all....

 
At 12/09/2005 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful!

We've been blessed that my family live just a few minutes away. But I know that when we move out of the area it will be so different.

I hope you have a blast!

 
At 12/10/2005 8:27 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

I completely understand your excitement, Amy! My parents are wandering nomads with their RV and my closest relative is an hour and a half away. My friends are all childless and I don't think they've babysat in decades, so I wouldn't want to ask them. So going out times are for when my parents come to visit. I really want to see Chronicles of Narnia and Memoirs of a Geisha, but they'll have to wait til January unless my sister can come stay with us for the weekend.

Have a great time at the Christmas party! It sounds like it will be SO fun!

 
At 12/10/2005 3:01 PM, Blogger Nelly said...

We never go out just the two of us. I can probably count on one hand in the last six years we have gone out on a "date." Have fun!

 
At 12/11/2005 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fabulous. I hope you two have a wonderful time and I hope Ava has a blast also. :-)

 
At 12/11/2005 1:26 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

You just had to rub it in that your dress up clothes are too big for you. ;)

I agree with Beckie, good job momma!

 
At 12/11/2005 5:06 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

R2Ks - Yes, this will be a treat for us too!

Beckie and Tiff - thank you. :) Isn't that nuts when they hardly or don't even miss you at all?

Laura - That's great to have family close by. Enjoy it! :)

Amy - Oh yes, there are several movies we'd like to see too, but we'll probably just wait til dvd. I'd love to see Memoirs of a Geisha. The book was awesome!

Nelly - You should take advantage of living in such close proximity to your parents and enjoy some time out once in a while. :)

Vegan Momma - I think Ava will have a ball. :) Thx!


P.S. Don't ya hate it when you can't figure out what the word is in your word verification??!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home