Monday, December 05, 2005

Sooooo cold and windy (and more rambling about the timeshare)!

It was so cold and ridiculously windy here today, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost some shingles off the house. Our garbage can blew over and tumbled around the yard and the cover for our grill blew off. The wind was so loud, it woke me up this morning and I couldn't fall back asleep. It's only going to get worse the next couple days. We can expect highs in the teens Tuesday and single digits on Wednesday. Yikes!

Ava and I decorated our Christmas tree today. Well, I decorated. She pulled the non-breakable ornaments off and put them on and took them off again. ;) After I turned on the tree lights I think I heard "wow!" from her about 26 times. Everytime she sees the tree again, the "wow"s start all over again. Oh and "pee-y wights" (pretty lights). :)

In other news, we thought our timeshare dilemma had been solved. We found out about this company called Timeshare Relief who supposedly buys timeshares outright from people who want to get rid of them. They even have a good review with the Better Business Bureau. Well, upon doing some further digging tonight, Jody discovered that they are YET AGAIN another scam. Apparently they get you to go to their presentation, paint a very bleak picture about owning a timeshare and all the money you are flushing down the toilet (the complete opposite of what the companies do when trying to sell them to you), then get you to agree to spend $3,500 (or thereabouts) to have them take it off your hands forever. OMG. I seriously can't believe there are so many companies and people out there in the world who are just trying to screw everyone over.

Yet again, the old adage proves true - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

5 Comments:

At 12/06/2005 8:26 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

Brrr-- it sounds so cold there! And I thought it was cold here in California!!

Does your metro area have a consumer advocacy program, even if it's through the media? In the Bay Area, we have Michael Finney, who hosts a news segment on the local channel and also a Saturday afternoon talk show taking calls.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/index?section=7on_your_side&id=3279786
Maybe there is some option like that in your area that has a consumer rights expert who can help you with your situation. Let us know how you end up dealing with this.

 
At 12/06/2005 10:51 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I am so sorry. I can't believe how many predators there are out there.

I hope the nightmare ends soon.

 
At 12/06/2005 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to neglect addressing the timeshare issue, 'cause it just bumms me out too much.

I will; however, say that Ava sounds delightful. I read the pee-y wights bit aloud to Chris. We had a good chuckle...thank you.

 
At 9/05/2006 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in exactly the same position as you. I owned a timeshare. Wanted to get rid of it. After exhausting every opportunity I chose the Timeshare Relief route. The whole process was so tragic and painful, I check back once in awhile to see where other folks stand. I usually just observe. But seeing a little of my own experience in your post, I'll say a few words about how I finally got out. There's still that little voice in my head that wants to know, "Did we get ripped off?" Seeing the large number of posts expressing the kind of frustration that makes a dead-end look like the road to salvation, in the end, I think I did all right. It's mental game really, it involves changing the way you think.
I can tell you though, my first reaction was similar to yours. "What? I pay YOU money to get rid of MY timeshare?" But then I realized I was already paying money to get rid of my timeshare, just not all at once: $400 here, $500 there. Not to mention that every path I took necessitated continued payment of my maintainence fees. Then add to that all the time I spent researching new "opportunities." If I learned one thing in my college economics courses, time is money. And every moment I spent trying to unload my timeshare was time I could have spent doing something else, including making money. Add it all up and I was bleeding money all over the place, in amounts far greater than what I eventually spent with TR. These were the mental hurdles I had to cross to reach the promised land.
I was dubious too. But then I realized, I'm paying Timeshare Relief just like I'm paying every company trying to help me get rid of my timeshare. The big difference is once I paid Timeshare Relief, my timeshare nightmare was over, completely, forever. Think what you want, but unloading my timeshare would have been so much easier and so much cheaper in the end, if I had gone to Timeshare Relief in the first place.

 
At 5/04/2009 11:17 AM, Anonymous Timeshare Relief said...

Timeshare issues sometimes really frustrates me up. While there are companies whose offering bad service there are some legit companies who can really help you get get get rid of timeshare so you wont have to worry paying your next annual maintenance fee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home