Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Biz meeting and more


A friend of mine turned me on to the local community college that offers small business start-ups free one-on-one counseling. Not having money to spare for financial counseling otherwise, I decided to jump on that. My appointment is tomorrow.

The free counseling includes:
* Start-up issues - registration, licensing, market research, financing, insurance
* Business planning for prestart-up, start-up, existing and emerging businesses
* Strategic plan assistance
* Development of marketing strategies
* Financial statement analysis, budgeting and projections

I'm very impressed that it's all free. (I'm assuming there's no hidden catch since my friend went through this herself.)

Jody and I came up with a list of questions tonight and hopefully I will get some good solid info I need for starting this photography business (as well as operating my CafePress store).

I want to make sure that all of my ducks are in a row from the get-go so I don't have to worry about it all later.

..................................

It's still freezing here and actually snowed a couple inches today. I took advantage of the cold and cranked up the oven to bake pumpkin spice cookies (with chocolate chips) tonight. Mmmm. :)

The temperature right now is 3 degrees (but feels like -12 with the windchill factor - sidenote: when I was a kid, I always thought they said "windshield factor"). Tomorrow's high is 8 degrees. I'm not looking forward to leaving the house for my counseling appointment. Brrrrr.

I ordered our Christmas cards (which include a family photo of us) tonight. Yay! We took pics this weekend here at the house using my tripod and camera timer. They aren't the best, but they will do. Ava got a kick out of mommy running back and forth between the camera and she and daddy for the pics. She thought the whole thing was a hoot and we even got some smiles out of her in them. I will be glad to get the cards and mail them off.

I need to come up with Christmas gifts for family and friends still. I'm going to try to find something easy and crafty (and inexpensive) I can make. I am just worried that I'm running out of time. I always wait til the last minute with these things.

And I need to get a few things for Ava. I haven't even started shopping yet. We don't have much to spend this year (I sound like a broken record, don't I?), but I definitely want her to have a few fun presents to open from us. I'll need to get on that soon. I can't believe how fast Christmas is sneaking up on me this year!

8 Comments:

At 12/06/2005 10:50 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I was so late, I thought that Amazon Santa wasn't going to come in time. But he did. That business seminar sounds good!

 
At 12/06/2005 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck (and have fun - if you can) with the business seminar.

I'm making Irish Cream Liquor for gifts to neighbors etc.

When I was a kid I thought people were saying 'review mirror'. So I totally get the windshield factor thing.

 
At 12/07/2005 5:09 AM, Blogger Nelly said...

Hey Amy!

I'm hearing ya on the whole Christmas sneaking up on you! WOW! It really is coming up quick. I'm pretty good as far as buying for the family but not so far along on buying my kids their stuff. Only 18 more shopping days!

Homemade cookies, breads and chocolates are always nice to get at Christmas and pretty easy to make and you can package them all pretty for gifts. Just a thought! Good luck shopping!

 
At 12/07/2005 7:18 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

I forgot to offer you good luck vibes and hugs! So, here they are!

 
At 12/07/2005 9:28 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

r2ks and rowan - thanks. the biz mtg went well. i got a lot of info to read to help me get my ducks in a row.
mmmm, that irish cream liquor sounds good, rowan! care to share the recipe?

nelly - thanks for the suggestions. my MIL recently gave me a book with tons of christmas crafty ideas so i'm going to take a look in that for inspiration. i'd love to find something non-edible to make this year, but might use breads, muffins or cookies as something to fall back on if i need to. :)

 
At 12/08/2005 10:23 AM, Blogger halloweenlover said...

What a great service to the community! Hope all goes well!

Can't wait to see the holiday picture!

And share the pumpkin cookie recipe! Geez!

Windshield factor made me laugh out loud.

 
At 12/08/2005 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say "hope the meeting went well" but I read the comments and it looks like it did. Yeah! What an exciting time for you!

Don't freeze! My sister called early this morning and asked if we were sure we wanted to move to Denver next year with the way the weather's been this week. Crazy cold!

 
At 12/08/2005 10:48 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

HL - yes, it is a great service. they are affiliated with the SBA (thru the gov't) so that explains a lot of it.
glad i could provide a chuckle. :)

Julie - I didn't know you started a blog/journal. Very cool. I'll have you check in on you too. So you might move to the "D" next year?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home