Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Poor baby

We were all sitting in the livingroom, watching a documentary about giraffes on PBS the other night. Ava was enjoying it, especially when they showed baby giraffes.

It got to a part where they were filming a female giraffe giving birth to a baby at a zoo in Colorado Springs. I didn't think anything of Ava watching it since she and I have watched videos of human babies being born in the past and they didn't phase her in the least. In fact, she usually wants to see more. I just wanted to be sure she understood what was happening and told her, "the mommy giraffe is going to have a baby." She got excited. I turned my attention away from her and back to the TV and watched as the baby giraffe emerged from it's mother's birth path and fell about 4 feet into a heap on the sandy ground. At that point, Ava said (in her most concerned, high-pitched voice), "BABY???" and burst into tears. :( I picked her up to comfort her and Jody and I reassured her that the baby was OK. We watched together as the mommy giraffe soon began to lick the baby and it sprung to life and started trying to stand up and walk. She calmed down once she knew baby was OK, but she sure was hysterical for a minute or so. :(

I felt so bad. She obviously thought something was wrong with the poor little thing after it fell to the ground and didn't begin to move right away, but I had no idea she would respond the way that she did.

We've talked about it since then and she's not scarred for life (as far as I can tell!), but it makes me want to cry when I think about how sad she sounded.

7 Comments:

At 8/30/2006 1:18 PM, Blogger Niecey said...

Aw that's so sad, yet so sweet. It's sweet that she has such a caring and sensitive nature.
But so sad to think of her so worried for the baby giraffe.

We had a similar experience a few days ago. I was watching some dumb kids science show (because there was really nothing good on at all!) and they were experimenting with dropping manequins from a high height. I didn't even stop to think what it would look like to Lana. She got so upset and was crying "oh no, baby doll."

But then, she does a lot worse than that to her baby dolls!

Nice pic of baby giraffe and mom by the way!

 
At 8/30/2006 4:18 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Awww - that's poignant. It's nice she has empathy happening already.

 
At 8/31/2006 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a bittersweet story! The mothering instinct is soooo strong, eh?
XOXO,

 
At 8/31/2006 11:35 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

That's something to remember, for sure. Bonding between mother and child takes place in the most interesting ways... the giraffe's AND yours... Amy, being there for her to explain what happened is incredibly special. She will remember this!

 
At 8/31/2006 2:53 PM, Blogger Amy T said...

What a sweet and empathetic child you have. And when she misunderstands something, that's what mommies and daddies are for. Your guidance is a powerful force in this little human's life. :)

 
At 8/31/2006 8:06 PM, Blogger Avery's mom said...

Too sweet of Ava to worry about the baby giraffe falling. i'm sure from a child's perspective things are a little spooky the first time around.

 
At 9/01/2006 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNEW I've seen that girafe pic before, but I just couldn't remember where -- until today when I went to my chiropractor's office!! TA DA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home