Thursday, August 24, 2006

28 week maternity pics

Since I have a maternity photoshoot for an acquaintance scheduled for this weekend, I thought I better take out my trusted camera and get some good practicing in yesterday while Ava napped. Seeing how I have a baby belly myself and a desire to document my pregnancy as well, I figured I'd try my hand at some self-portraits. Eeep! It was a lot harder than I thought. First of all, it's NOT easy to get the focus right when you are using a timer and have nobody to stand in for you. Secondly, it's a lot of work going back and forth from the camera to the backdrop (in a house without A/C) in between each picture. I took probably 40 pictures and have about 8 that I'm sort of happy with, and 2 that I will share here. :)

Here I am - one day shy of 28 weeks:


I saw my midwife on Tuesday and everything is going well. I got to hear baby boy's heartbeat through the stethescope which was really amazing since it was just pure heartbeat and not all the ambient noise you hear when you listen with a doppler. She felt him a lot (and could feel limbs, his butt, his back) and he is head down, though his head is off to the side. She gently reminded him where the exit is. ;)
My blood pressure is great and no protein in my urine.
She got my records from Ava's birth so we went over those a bit and talked about what signs they saw that lead up to them admitting me, inducing and deciding I had HELLP syndrome. From what she could tell, I either had a very mild case of HELLP or they caught it VERY early. Either way, it's reassuring, though it makes me wonder if there really was the urgency to induce as quickly as they did. Ah well, it's water under the bridge and there's no undoing it now. The good news is that I'm not showing any indication that I may develop HELLP this time around. :) *Knock wood*

I had my second acupuncture appointment today and it went well. I began to feel relaxed as soon as she started putting the needles in. I think someone on my blog inquired as to if I've noticed any difference since starting the acupuncture and I've read that it usually takes 4-6 visits to see a difference. My heartburn has lessened a lot though lately but I don't know if that's from the acupuncture or the changes I've made to my diet (like not drinking liquids with meals and avoiding some trigger foods) or it could be a combination. Obviously, with her treating my internal organs (liver and kidneys primarily), I'm not going to notice any difference. But she is also doing some work on some upper back pain I've been having, so we'll see if that gets better.

I need to set aside time to do more relaxation work to help me prepare for the birth. In fact, since the kiddo is napping, I think I'll go do that now.

Oh, one last pregnancy-related thing...the great book I'm currently reading - Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It's a wonderful, inspirational read. I HIGHLY recommend it to all pregnant women or those who plan on having children someday.
"Drawing upon her thirty-plus years of experience, Ina May Gaskin, the nation’s leading midwife, shares the benefits and joys of natural childbirth by showing women how to trust in the ancient wisdom of their bodies for a healthy and fulfilling birthing experience. Based on the female-centered Midwifery Model of Care, Ina May’s Guide to Natural Childbirth gives expectant mothers comprehensive information on everything from the all-important mind-body connection to how to give birth without technological intervention.

Filled with inspiring birth stories and practical advice, this invaluable resource includes:
• Reducing the pain of labor without drugs--and the miraculous roles touch and massage play
• What really happens during labor
• Orgasmic birth--making birth pleasurable
• Episiotomy--is it really necessary?
• Common methods of inducing labor--and which to avoid at all costs
• Tips for maximizing your chances of an unmedicated labor and birth
• How to avoid postpartum bleeding--and depression
• The risks of anesthesia and cesareans--what your doctor
doesn’t necessarily tell you
• The best ways to work with doctors and/or birth care providers
• How to create a safe, comfortable environment for
birth in any setting, including a hospital
• And much more

Ina May’s Guide to Natural Childbirth takes the fear out of childbirth by restoring women’s faith in their own natural power to give birth with more ease, less pain, and less medical intervention."

14 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 4:20 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Orgasmic birth!!!??? Far out... :) :)

Great pics too Amy even tho' they were difficult to take. Glad the baby boy is doing well.

 
At 8/24/2006 7:52 PM, Blogger Christina K. said...

I love the pictures!!

 
At 8/24/2006 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning pics! You are quite talented to have undertook snapping them yourself!
Yes, Ina May is a goddess. I read both of her books, ahem - devoured them, during my pregnancy. Hers was the very first book I picked up when I became pregnant.
Penny, OHHHHH yes, orgasmic birth! Check out http://www.orgasmicbirth.com/. My birth was close to this, quite ecstatic, lovely, mmmmmmmm...
Please keep us updated with more pics, Amy!
XOXO,

 
At 8/24/2006 10:24 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

I've heard of the orgasmic birth, but I thought someone was just pulling my leg. Guess not. ;)

Amy, you are absolutely beautiful!

Oh, and how can you live in a house without a/c? Unheard of! :)

 
At 8/25/2006 1:01 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!

 
At 8/25/2006 3:45 AM, Blogger Isil Simsek said...

Your pictures are so beautiful...I'm glad that everything is going on the way and you feel better now.
Thanks for the book recommendation,it looks really interesting.

 
At 8/25/2006 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow these photos are incredible. You look so beautiful and so does the bump! You did an awesome job taking these yourself. I always look sweaty and flustered when I do self portraits! That ten second timer is just not enough. hehe.

Even if those two photos were all that came out, they are so worth it! Think of how you'll look back on those years from now. They're awesome.

Orgasmic birth?! I'd say mine were like the oposite of that! hehe. But afterwards, yeah all the buzz and chemical rush of love etc is amazing. I'm like addicted to that bit.

 
At 8/25/2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

You took some fantastic self portraits and considering the effort, that makes them even more special!
Your book looks very interesting -- if you can make your birth actually pleasurable, then more power to ya! My birth experience was unforgettable and special, but not pleasureable -- the pains were too great.

 
At 8/25/2006 10:28 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

i have that book, and love it so much that i buy it for all of my pregnant friends. i also donated a copy to the midwives' library. LOVE it! Birthing From Within is great as well!

 
At 8/25/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger halloweenlover said...

Love the pictures. You look beautiful!

Maybe I should go buy that book too! I'm behind on reading my hypnobirthing book, though!

 
At 8/25/2006 3:38 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Penny, Christina and Kleopatra - Thank you. :)

Leigh - Thank you for that link! What a fascinating read. I don't know that I personally could ever surrender enough to be that comfortable during birth (I'm pretty reserved), but I think it's amazing that you and other women are able to! :)

Tiffiny - Thank you. :)
It's really hard some days to go w/o A/C, but we manage ok. Thank God it's a dry heat here and we don't have to worry about humidity.

Isil - Thanks! The book is great. It's full of positive birth stories which are very enjoyable to read.

Niecey - Thanks so much. It was a lot of work to take those pictures, but I am glad I did it. I hope to do it again later on in my pregnancy and get Ava and Jody in some pics with me as well. I guess I'm lucky - my camera has a 12 second timer and every second helps! :)

Amy - Thank you. :) I'm not sure I can make birth pleasurable but I'm so intrigued that others are able to achieve that.

Michelle - That's awesome that you give the book out to your friends and even donated a copy. :) I have Birthing From Within too, but haven't read any of it since pre-Ava. I should revisit it.

Halloweenlover - Thanks. :) I highly recommend you get that book, if only to read some of the birth stories in the first section of the book. They are very inspirational. :) Isn't there some interesting info in the HB book??

 
At 8/25/2006 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved reading Ina May Gaskin when I was pregnant. It made me so giddy to be given the chance to give birth. And I absolutely love the maternity pics, especially the second one, it's a great angle. I sometimes feel sad that I never bothered to take any pregnant pics, at least not any decent ones!

 
At 8/30/2006 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Ina May's book! And your pics are fab!! :)

 
At 8/31/2006 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so loving the preg pics. Especially in black and white. You are very beautiful and photogenic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home