Thursday, August 10, 2006

Off to the Great Lakes state :)

We're heading out bright and ridiculously early Saturday (the 12th) morning to catch our 8 a.m. flight to Michigan, where we'll be until the 19th, spending time primarily with my folks and sis (for a few days) up in Oscoda.

The weather looks to be sunny and in the 80s for the week (yay!), except for one day of possible rain. I can deal with that. :)

After flying into Detroit Metro Airport (cuz it was the cheapest [and I use the term loosely] flights we could get of the airports available to us in MI), Mom is picking us up for the four hour drive up to Oscoda. It's going to be a loooong day of traveling. Thankfully we'll have the rest of the week to rest and relax before the trip back home.


My parents live within a couple blocks of the Au Sable River (right pic) and Huron National Forest and within a couple miles of Lake Huron (left pic). We're looking forward to doing lots of swimming, some nature walks, canoeing, campfires, seeing the sights and just plain relaxing.

For those of you who don't know, I spent the first 22 years of my life in Michigan (in the Detroit area), before moving to Oklahoma for a year and a half, and eventually to Colorado - where I've lived for the past nearly six years now. So while I'm going back to my home state, it won't really feel like going "home" since my parents sold the house I grew up in and moved four hours up north to Oscoda a few years ago.

Some interesting trivia about Oscoda (and surrounding areas)...
I asked my mom to check into natural or health food stores around there because I know we'll want to pick up some things for the week. Well, there are no health food stores in Oscoda and they only have one grocery store chain (the other recently closed down), that apparently doesn't carry any (or very little) organic food. There's a Wal-mart Supercenter about 20 miles from there that you'd think would carry *some* organic foods, but mom checked it out and they don't. Gah! Thankfully, I was able to track down one health food store - Marbie's Nutrition - about 20 miles from Oscoda, so it looks like we'll be paying ol' Marbie a visit. ;) Though it's probably worth putting in a call to Marbie first to make sure they carry what I need. Anyway, I know health food stores exist in other parts of Michigan. Hell, they even have Trader Joe's. We don't have Trader Joe's here! But still, the longer I'm away, the more I realize Michigan is such a DIFFERENT world than Colorado.

I know we'll have a good time with the fam, and, even though I'm whining about it, we won't die if we eat conventional food for a week. ;) There are just a few things that I'd like to have on-hand, specifically for Ava. So we'll do what we have to do. :)

I hope to check in once or twice while we're there, but I'll be on *gasp* dial-up so I'm not holding my breath for too much Internet time, which is good anyway since I hope to be enjoying the great outdoors. :) "See" y'all in a week, with some pics and fun stories from the trip.

================================
Just for the record, I'm 26 weeks pregnant today - only 98 days left to go according to my baby-gaga ticker. Wow!! :) Baby boy has been active as all getout lately. I swear my whole stomach lurches at times.
I talked to my midwife's back-up a couple times this evening (because my midwife is out of town) about the abdominal discomfort I was having yesterday and today and the lightheadedness and it all sounds normal. She suggests I take a calcium/magnesium supplement to help with the round ligament pain, drink more water (is that possible??), and make sure my blood sugar isn't dropping (i.e. eat) for the lightheadedness. She was very friendly and helpful and, while I wasn't too concerned about what was going on, I feel much better after having talked to her.

8 Comments:

At 8/11/2006 5:51 AM, Blogger Nelly said...

Have fun, be safe and drink tons o'water! What a fun time you'll have. :)

 
At 8/11/2006 8:09 AM, Blogger Primal Mama said...

I hope you guys have a great vacation Amy!

:)

 
At 8/11/2006 9:11 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

Have a lovely time. ;) It looks like it's going to be beautiful over there.

I can't believe you're way over halfway done in your pregnancy! Please send some updated belly shots when you can. ;)

 
At 8/11/2006 9:39 AM, Blogger Christina K. said...

Have a great time. The weather has been great here!!

 
At 8/11/2006 10:41 AM, Blogger Isil Simsek said...

Have a nice vacation and take care!

 
At 8/11/2006 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are heading to Oscoda next weekend (18th)...maybe we'll see ya around??? well, you'll probably be gone by then huh? Oh well...have fun.

 
At 8/11/2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Thanks for all the well-wishes. I'm sure we'll have a great time. I need to go finish packing now and get to bed! :)

Amy - I have some new-ish belly pics I need to put up when I get back. Of course they'll be outdated by then so maybe I'll take some new ones as well.

Shelby - Email for you. :)

 
At 8/12/2006 8:29 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Wow, i love Michigan!!! I used to go there on vacation as a kid w/my family. Great memories. Hope you are having a regular BLAST!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home