Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Off to an interview

Not a job interview, but an OB interview. I scheduled a "meet and greet" appointment with a doctor a friend recommended for this afternoon. My friend loves her and I hope I will as well. She works for the same medical center as the family practice doctor Ava and I see so I hope that's a good sign. Oh, and that FP doctor recommended her to me as well. I'll try to report back later.

In other news, Jody is back to work today and doing fine and I'm feeling a lot better too. Whether it was food poisoning or some nasty variation of the "bug" Ava had earlier, I don't think we'll ever know for certain. But I am sooooooo glad to be done with it!! I wouldn't wish that kind of sickness on anyone - pregnant or not - but I think it was particularly worse on me because I am. I'm feeling particularly thankful for the good health we enjoy MOST of the time.

UPDATED at 5:50 p.m.:
The interview went really well. Dr. T had a good personality, listened well, and answered my questions to my satisfaction. I like her philosophy on birth (sees it as a natural process, not a medical condition), inductions (prefers not to do them unless medically necessary), c-sections (only done in an emergency or a real medical need) and episiotomies (doesn't do them unless there's a risk of tearing in front or the baby NEEDS to come out right now for medical reasons). She basically said it's much more fun to sit back and let labor and birth happen and see how it all turns out, rather than get in there and micromanage it all. She sounds like my kinda doc.

There are currently two other doctors in the practice who also attend births, but she said they both share the same medical views as she does, though the male doctor is more scientific and test-oriented than she and the other female doctor. In addition, there will be two more female doctors joining the practice in the summer, but they will be on the same page as the rest as well. While I would see Dr. T for most of my appointments (until towards the end, when I'd meet the other docs), any one of them could end up actually attending my birth, so it's important to me that they all have similar attitudes and thoughts about anything birth-related.

We talked a fair amount about my history with HELLP syndrome and she feels my chances are good of not developing it again this time around. (One of these days I'll get around to explaining exactly what went on with me and HELLP and Ava's birth. It wasn't the birth experience I'd expected in the least and I hope to avoid it this time around. Though the end result was a healthy baby and mama and that was what mattered the most.)

So, all in all, it went very well. I still plan to interview a midwife just so that I can weigh all of my options, but at this point I'm leaning towards transferring to Dr. T's practice. She seems like a good fit for me. :)

3 Comments:

At 5/02/2006 6:26 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

What is it now a days with Dr.s having a rotation and not always delivering their own patients? It's the same way with me now, and it was the same way my daughter. I guess on the positive side, they are all on the same page. That makes it helpful. :)

 
At 5/02/2006 10:48 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Yeah, it is frustrating, especially if you really like your doctor. Hope you end up with the doctor you really want for your birth. It sure is getting close now! :)

 
At 1/04/2024 11:33 PM, Anonymous Yongju Theme said...

Thhanks for the post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home