Saturday, March 04, 2006

Mexican polenta casserole - recipe

This proved to be a very tasty dinner for us on Thurdsay. Ava gobbled it right up. Hope you enjoy it as well. :)

Mexican Polenta Casserole

Ingredients:
1 package of polenta w/ green chiles and cilantro (it comes seasoned that way)
1 can of refried beans w/ green chiles
1 C Quorn grounds (warmed and seasoned with taco seasoning)
1/2 C salsa
1/2 can black olives (sliced)
3/4 C cheese (I used sharp cheddar and monterrey jack)

And 1 or 2 avocados (and whatever you put into your guacamole) to make into guacamole. I used lime juice, Spike seasoning, pepper and cilantro.

Instructions:
Spray the bottom of your casserole dish w/ some non-stick cooking spray.
Soften and mash the polenta by adding some water and microwaving it until it softens.
Spread 1/2 the polenta into the casserole dish.
Spread a layer of refried beans (use the whole can).
Spread a layer of the Quorn grounds (that have been warmed and seasoned w/ taco seasoning).
Put down a layer of salsa, then black olives.
Spread on the other 1/2 of the polenta.
Top with shredded cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 min., then follow up with the casserole under the broiler for a minute or two.
Top with guacamole and serve.




By the way, the Indian food (palak paneer) we had for dinner last night was sooooo good. :) Ava loved it too and had leftovers for dinner tonight as well. Yum!

Oh, I was mixing up some guacamole tonight to go along with my dinner leftovers (of the Mexican polenta casserole no less). I asked Ava what I was making and, clear as day, she said "guacamole." Then she repeated it about 6 times. Can't tell that we like our avocados in this house, can ya? ;)

6 Comments:

At 3/05/2006 8:57 PM, Blogger gosonja said...

This looks soooooo good! I am going to have to make this soon, and there aren't a lot of ingredients. I just love polenta!
Thanks

 
At 3/07/2006 9:19 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

wow Amy this looks great! What type of polenta did you start out with it? I have a log of it, so maybe I could slice that and layer on top, or did you mash that? (I really need to use this log one of these days, it's been hanging out a few months in my cabinet).

 
At 3/07/2006 9:33 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

thanks sonja. :)

and jess, it was a log that i mashed. it worked really well. :)

 
At 3/08/2006 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, a child after my own heart. I embarassingly admit that I ate about 4 avocados yesterday for lunch and dinner. What's that, like 10,000 calories? Mmmm mmm. :)

 
At 3/09/2006 12:31 PM, Blogger halloweenlover said...

Yum, Amy! I'm going to try that also! Sounds delicious!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that things have been tough around you recently. I hope all is on the up and up soon. Hugs!

Your little munchkin is sooooo cute!

 
At 3/09/2006 10:56 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

good to know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home