Monday, November 21, 2005

Preparing for Thanksgiving


Ava and I hit the grocery store today (along with tons of other folks) to do our Thanksgiving meal shopping. I figured a Monday afternoon wouldn't be so crowded, but it seems I was wrong. The store was full of people for Miss Ava to converse with. I think she said "hi" to something like 27 people. ;) Most replied, though some did not. Some replied to the first few greetings, but not to the 10 more that followed. ;) What can I say - she's a very friendly girl. (Where does she get *that* from??) :oP

Her latest saying is "oh no!" which Jody taught her on Saturday to go along with "uh oh" (an old stand-by, of course). She always says "Wow!" and has gotten pretty good about repeating a lot of things we say. (Note to self: watch your mouth.)

Back to Thanksgiving...
We are having a quiet Thanksgiving dinner at home this year - just the three of us - though from the amount of food I bought today, you'd think we were having a full house. I figured we can have turkey leftovers for a while.

I thought about having a vegetarian Thanksgiving (I've done it in years past) and getting a tofurky, but decided to go the traditional route. My past vegetarian Thanksgivings have always consisted solely of side dishes, so I've not yet had the pleasure of eating a tofurky. Anyone had any experience with one? How are they?

We have a lot to be thankful for this year. Our health leads the list, with happiness following closely behind. Other things I'm thankful for are a roof over my head, heat and electricity, food, clothes, family and friends. What would I do without family and good friends?

I'm kind of bummed that we won't be having a big family get-together for the holidays this year, especially in light of some news we received regarding my father-in-law's health (he was diagnosed with emphysema). Hopefully we will get to drive down to Oklahoma City to see my in-laws in February for Jody's birthday.
As for my side of the family, my sister is flying in to see us in January (yay!) and then perhaps Ava and I (at the least) will travel to MI in the spring or summer to visit my folks if they don't come out here.

That's all for now. In case I don't write again this week, I hope everyone has a very happy Thanksgiving (and safe travels for those who will be on the roads or in the air)! :-)

10 Comments:

At 11/21/2005 9:56 PM, Blogger Christina K. said...

Tofurky isn't too bad, I like it better than veggie bacon - yuck - I have stuck with turkey bacon for when we crave bacon!

 
At 11/22/2005 7:51 AM, Blogger halloweenlover said...

I'll be doing the tofurkey thing this year, and Josh will be cooking the actual turkey. I'll let you know! I bought a couple so I'd have leftover tofurkey for those late night sandwiches I love so much!

You DO have wonderful blessings! Have a fantabulously happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 11/22/2005 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you guys have a great Thanskgiving.

We are doing the whole huge family thing. Course that tends to happen when your husbands entire family (and I mean entire!) lives in a 6 mile radius of you :-D I'm just glad it isn't happening at *my* house, oh the joys of a small home, haha.

 
At 11/22/2005 10:58 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

christina - we buy turkey bacon here as well. tofu bacon sounds a little out there, even for me. ;)

heather - i have no idea how i'm going to do my family christmas pics this year! i really want to get a remote for the camera, but that's probably not happening any time soon. so...i'm going to try my hand at the timer and see what we get. should be interesting to say the least. LOL i tried to take some pics of just ava this weekend (in her xmas dress to potentially use for a card) but she was all over the place and none of them turned out worth a darn.

HL - let me know how you like the tofurky. i gotta think it's not that bad. i'm a fan of tofu though.

dawn - i bet it's nice to have family close-by like that (at least sometimes). ;)

 
At 11/22/2005 11:18 AM, Blogger Katy said...

We are not hav
ing family either, but lots of friends. Tofurkey? I just do not know about that.

 
At 11/22/2005 1:15 PM, Blogger Rambler said...

nopes...never had tofurkey... have a good thanksgiving :)

 
At 11/23/2005 12:32 AM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

HI AVA!!! ;)

 
At 11/23/2005 8:39 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Never had a whole Tofurkey (too pricey) but had slices of it (not my favorite).

I like going with lasagna.

 
At 11/23/2005 8:40 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

And Oh No! Happy Thanksgiving :)

 
At 11/23/2005 9:32 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Amy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home