Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Just ask Amy ;-)

In the past couple days I had two people ask me for my thoughts/advice about two parenting-related topics.

The first woman, a semi-regular commenter on this blog, emailed me to ask for advice regarding vaccinations for her 1-year-old son. She was feeling hesitant about taking him receiving so many shots at his 12 month check-up. I would never tell someone what they should or should not do. That's not my style. I'm all about people doing their own research and making informed choices (regarding healthcare and other aspects of parenting), and I believe that those choices can differ from person to person. So I supplied her with some information, gave her some questions to ask her pediatrician regarding thimerosal use, and some things to think about as she makes these decisions.

The other woman, who I know from a message group, PM'd me to ask about starting solids while breastfeeding her 6-month-old daughter. It was funny to me to get questions about when are you supposed to feed them, how many times a day, etc., because that stage in Ava's life seems like it was ages ago now and I really didn't remember. I looked up some info for her on KellyMom and told her what I did remember. It's amazing how it's been less than a year since Ava was at that stage and I've nearly forgotten what it's like!

Anyway, it made me feel good to have people come to me for my thoughts and information on those topics. It's nice to be respected. :) I would never claim to have all the answers, but I can speak from my research and personal experience and let them come to their own conclusions. It's nice to see other mamas who want to make informed choices.

And the other cool thing that happened recently was that I discovered another commenter on my blog who seems to share my passion for APing and her husband plays Dungeons & Dragons (as does mine), lives a town over from me! We seem to have quite a few things in common so I look forward to learning more about her and her family. Small world. :)

6 Comments:

At 11/16/2005 7:17 PM, Blogger halloweenlover said...

That is really fun news! I guess everyone can see that you are a happy open person who is willing to share your knowledge with others.

 
At 11/16/2005 11:34 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

I have a question...how do you get a kiddo to stop snoring! :) hehehe, kidding!!!

 
At 11/16/2005 11:48 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

thanks HL. i'm glad that ppl feel they can come to me. :)

tiff - uh, plug her nose? ;) j/k. wish i had the answer because i'd use it on my dh! LOL

 
At 11/17/2005 12:43 AM, Blogger Spookygirl said...

Yeah, really if Amy had the answer to that one Tiffiny, she'd be rich!! DH and DD both snore!!

 
At 11/17/2005 1:53 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

How very cool. It is so nice to be trusted for your opinions. That is great.

 
At 11/17/2005 5:10 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

i had another friend email me today for advice about slings/carriers for her 2nd baby that's due in feb.
i'm so glad i can help these mamas out. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home