Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Baking fool

In between trying out my new camera, proofing pics and learning various things in Photoshop, I've been a baking fool the past couple days.

This weekend I baked and pureed three of the seven pie pumpkins we got at the farm a couple weekends ago.

Yesterday I made pumpkin cookies with a super easy (and low fat - I think!) recipe I found on All Recipes. I'll post it below. The cookies are very moist and cake-like and perfect for a lil pumpkin I know who only has four teeth so far. (Is that cannibalism?) ;) (On a side note, I don't think she will have just four teeth for long. She's been having trouble napping the past couple days and tonight seemed to be in quite a bit of pain from her teeth/gums. She's doing better after some Tylenol and Maggie - the dog - time.)

Then tonight I baked two pumpkin pies (using the recipe on the condensed milk can). That was a bit more challenging, especially since I sloshed a bunch of the pie filling out onto the cookie sheet they were going to bake on. Jody suggested using a turkey baster to fill them back up (so I didn't have to move the full crusts/tins around) and that worked much better. I have to remember that trick for filling them the next time I bake them. Maybe I'll try to get an artful pic of them before they are consumed. ;)

Oh, and a couple days ago I baked the pumpkin seeds as well. A friend recommended putting cayenne pepper on them so I tried it out. It adds a nice kick and is something a little different than plain old salted seeds (though those are yummy too).

Now I have to figure out something to make with my other four pie pumpkins. I might try out some pumpkin bread or maybe some soup. Mmmmm. Those both sound like they'd be great frozen and reheated on a cold winter day. :)

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin (I used 2 cups pureed pumpkin)

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease
cookie sheets.
2 In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and pumpkin
until well blended. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the
prepared cookie sheet.
3 Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow
cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing
to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

8 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ame~ Glad I am not the ONLY one who's a baking/cooking fool these days! I've got so much hubbard/spaghetti squash that I've made soups, stews, and different 'dishes' that are quite yummy! I do have a recipe for pumpkin soup I want to make today with some sugar cookies (in the shapes of leaf cut-outs - oOo) for dinner with it. What do you think? I LOVE FALL!!!

 
At 10/27/2005 9:52 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

The pies and cookies sound delicious! I've been buying lots of apples and pears at the farmer's market and made some scones with the fresh fruit. I'm going to look at some apple crisp recipes today! :)

 
At 10/27/2005 10:50 AM, Blogger Spookygirl said...

Tiffiny made a super cool pumpkin/chocolate cake for my baby shower the other day, maybe she can give you the recipe :)

 
At 10/27/2005 1:49 PM, Blogger Chris Lautischer said...

mmmm punkpin seeds... now i'm gonna drool...

I got hooked on baking when I started selling Watkins products. I love the stuff especially the vanilla. If you want to take a look, check out www.watkinsonline.com/home and use associate id# 364407 if you want to order anything.


i'm gonna try the receipe for the cookies but i'm gonna modify it a little..
-drools thinking about pumpkin seeds still-

 
At 10/27/2005 5:19 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

xstitch - sounds delicious! can you share the pumpkin soup recipe w/ me please? (you can send me an email.) you are always so crafty. love it. :)

amy - yum! apple crisp! good idea stocking up on fruits at the farmers market.

beckie - that sounds tasty! how did your shower go?

heather - i think fall just inspires the lot of us to get into the kitchens and bake.

chris - i thought for a second that a spammer got through. LOL. but i checked out your blog and you seem legit. ;) enjoy the cookies!

 
At 10/27/2005 5:35 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh yummy--I would love to be there. Baking is so much fun.

 
At 10/28/2005 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These almost sound too good to be true.

I just need to ask; is it just the cake mix or all the ingredients one would use to make the cake, too.

 
At 10/28/2005 7:52 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

rowan - it's JUST the cake mix and the pumpkin. :) very easy!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home