Friday, November 10, 2006

We are getting close!

Every time I head out to the grocery stores (Safeway or Vitamin Cottage) the past few weeks, I wonder if it's going to be my last trip before baby. And because I'm in major nesting mode, I end up stocking up on more and more things each trip. If I end up going to 42 weeks before having this child, our house is going to be seriously bursting with food!

Today I decided to pick up an organic cake and frosting mix (never tried one of those before) to make while I'm in labor so we have a birthday cake for baby boy. Ava immediately told me that she will have a piece of it. ;) I think it will be something fun for us to do together in the early stages of labor and will be a nice way to celebrate the little one's arrival. :) I wanted to get chocolate cake AND chocolate frosting, but settled on a marble cake mix with choco frosting, because I know not everyone (*ahem* - Jody) likes chocolate as much as Ava and me.

I also bought some things for our Thanksgiving dinner today, including stuffing mix, ingredients to make a pumpkin pie, and cool whip. I'm not exactly sure who's going to be making our Thanksgiving dinner because my sister may well be flying back to MI to spend it with her boyfriend (provided that baby boy has made his grand entrance) and my parents will probably not be in town yet - so I'm thinking Jody it is (with me yelling instructions from the bed or couch - hee, hee). I plan on making the pie this weekend and freezing it and may end up making some side dishes that can be frozen if I have time next week.



My estimated due date is Nov. 16 - less than a week away. After today is done, I feel like I am OK to have this baby. The photographer who's coming to photograph the birth had a wedding to shoot today, but after that her calendar can be easily freed up. So I think baby boy and I will have a talk tonight so that he knows that any time he's ready to come now, we are ready to meet him. :)

I went for another acupuncture appointment on Wednesday. All is going well and the supervisor of the clinic I go to was very encouraged by my recent lab results. She mixed up a special blend of Chinese herbs for me (in addition to my usual "pregnancy" herbs) to be cooked up while I'm in labor and drank right after the baby is born to help prevent hemorrhaging (which was an issue with Ava because my platelet levels were so low). She also said to call her if I do have any bleeding and she will come to my house with other herbs that will help my recovery. So nice of her! But anyway, the way everything with this pregnancy has been so different (for the better) from my pregnancy with Ava, I feel like while it's great that we have courses of action for "just in case" scenarios, everything is going to go so well with this birth that we won't need any of it. :)

My midwife STRONGLY recommends that I take it very easy for the first two weeks after the birth, which will help significantly with my recovery. (She suggests this with all of her clients, I'm no exception.) In fact, for the first three days after he's born, she wants me laying in bed with the baby, sleeping as much as possible (even though I may feel great). I have to admit, that part is rather appealing to me. Sure, I know I will have a baby pretty much attached to my breast the whole time, but just chillin' with the little guy will be nice. After day 3, I can venture downstairs, but still need to stay off my feet and am NOT to do any cooking, laundry, picking up toddlers, etc. I think after a week I can start spending a little time on my feet (no more than 10 minutes at a time), but still should not be cooking or doing household chores. (Do you see why I'm not fighting this? *wink, wink*) Although I am sure that I will start getting a little stir crazy and will want to be getting back into the swing of things, which she says is fine by the time I am 2 weeks postpartum. So we'll see how it goes. I think having the house well-stocked with food, organic fruits and veggies delivered to the house each Monday, as well as having our milk delivered, it should help Jody out a lot. Thankfully, he has two weeks paternity time off work to be here with us, and has some additional vacation time he may take later. After he goes back to work, my parents plan on coming from MI to help out with Ava for another week or so. I am sure all of this assistance will be very much welcome as we adjust to our new life.

So now, the waiting game begins. :)

By the way, the picture of the book above, "Welcome With Love," is a wonderful children's book about natural childbirth. In the book, Jack, his family and the midwife await the homebirth of his baby brother. There are beautiful pictures depicting the midwife preparing for the birth, mom in labor, the birth itself, the baby after he is born with the umbilical cord attached, and many lovely images of the family. Ava has greatly enjoyed reading this book in the last few months and I think it well prepares any child for the natural birth of a sibling, whether it be a homebirth or hospital birth.

18 Comments:

At 11/10/2006 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, I just wanted to send you some good thoughts for the upcoming birth of your baby boy! Reading your entries reminds me of the exciting anticipation of labor and I hope your homebirth goes well. Can't wait to meet your little man! :)

 
At 11/10/2006 8:30 PM, Blogger Primal Mama said...

Amy, I am so excited for you, Jody and Ava! How wonderful to be so close to baby boys appearance!

I have a lil something knit for baby boy and Ava, could you email me your mailing address so I can pop them into the mail?

 
At 11/10/2006 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck Amy (& family).... Keep us posted....

 
At 11/10/2006 9:53 PM, Blogger Amy T said...

The electrifying excitement of baby's upcoming birthday is palpable in your post today. I check your blog twice a day now for any news - I'm on the edge of my seat!!!!! :) :) :)

 
At 11/10/2006 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending you all my positive energy...so excited for you and the family. Baby boys are sooo sweet, can't wait for you to get to meet yours, and have your home birth. All the best- let me know if you need anything during this time. :-) Heather

 
At 11/11/2006 1:01 AM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

Tons of love to you!

 
At 11/11/2006 6:08 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

so very excited! i can't wait to read your birth story and see a pic of sweet baby boy :)

our midwives have similar recommendations for after the birth :)

 
At 11/11/2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Steph - Thank you. :) I didn't realize you read my blog.

Dawn - You are too sweet. :) I sent ya an email.

Shelby - Thank you! You know I'll be updating.

Heather - Thanks so much for all the positive energy. :)

Tiffiny - Thank you!

Michelle - Thanks! Glad to hear our midwives have similar recommendations. I haven't heard of too many who are so strict when it comes to taking it easy after the birth, but it makes sense to me so I'm going to try to go with it.

 
At 11/11/2006 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great to hear that you are happily ready, the house is stocked and you have plenty of back-up-scenarios planned.

You mentioned about everytime you go to the store... well, everytime I read you post I think it is going to be the last one before baby boy! Maybe this one!

 
At 11/11/2006 2:48 PM, Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Sounds like you have a great plan in place! How exciting that it's getting so close.

 
At 11/11/2006 6:27 PM, Blogger AnnieM said...

I am very excited for you! My Labor and Delivery went so smoothly that I left the hospital within 24 hours- with strict instructions to stay on the couch for 3 days. HA! It was impossible for me with Mason wanting and needing so much attention. Thankfully things were OK without my following directions. Sending best vibes for an amazing experience. Can't wait to hear.

 
At 11/11/2006 9:17 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

I popped over here from Raw Vegan Momma's place...

I'm wishing you all the best with your upcoming birth. I'm planning a homebirth next March, and my midwives have similar recommendations for activity the first couple of weeks after birth. Take advantage of it; it might be the only rest you get for the next five years or so....

Oh, and I saw your post below concerning nursing while pregnant. I have a 35-month-old son who is still nursing two-three times a day. The first trimester I was about ready to wean just for my own sanity, but now I'm glad I didn't. The nursing time is so cuddly and precious, and I suspect it will be even more importnat to both of us after the baby is born and I'm splitting my attention between two kids. Yay to you for nursing Ava this far :)

 
At 11/12/2006 4:17 PM, Blogger Penny said...

It's exciting you're so close :)
The midwife's recommendation sounds so nice - I hope you get to do it. Good on Jody for taking time off too.

 
At 11/12/2006 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait. This is going to be wonderful.

 
At 11/12/2006 7:59 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

EPP (Leslie) - I don't think this one is my last post before baby, though I wish it was! ;)

PK - Yes, very exciting that we are getting so close to meeting this lil guy.

AnnieM - I'm so glad your labor and birth went so well. :) I admit I was quite surprised to hear they used Cytotec to induce you (because it has NOT been approved for use as a labor-inducing drug and has caused uterine rupture in some women. Cytotec's only FDA-approved use is treating ulcers.), but relieved to know that you did fine on it. :) I'm hoping that Jody being home the first few weeks will help out a lot with entertaining the lil miss. We'll see how it goes!

Liesl - Welcome to my blog. :) Thanks for the well wishes and support re: nursing Ava this far. It sure hasn't been easy during this pregnancy, but like you said, I hope it will help ease the transition with Ava for having to share mama with baby brother.

Penny - I don't know what I'd do if Jody wasn't able to take the time off. We are really lucky in that regard.

Cster - Thanks, love. :) We're happy to have you as a part of all of it too!

 
At 11/13/2006 5:35 AM, Blogger Isil Simsek said...

I had been thinking about you the whole weekend. We don't have a connection at home yet, so logged onto your site immediately I came to the library for internet. It's great that you're feeling so good and you arranged all your back ups.Wishing you all the best with the birth.

 
At 11/13/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger erica said...

I'm so excited for you, and can't wait to see pic of the lil' tyke!

 
At 11/13/2006 2:35 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Isil and Erica - Thank you both for popping in and the good thoughts. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home