Thursday, September 14, 2006

Mortality

My friend's father was hit by a car on his way to get a newspaper in Indiana Wednesday morning. He suffered multiple injuries and passed away this (Thursday) morning. :(

Thankfully, my friend was able to fly out from CO yesterday evening with her 4-month-old daughter (her almost 2-year-old son and husband stayed behind while he finished up some work) and I so hope she was able to talk to him/say goodbye before he died.

This whole mortality thing is hitting me pretty hard. We think that our parents will be around forever, and when something so sudden and unexpected happens, it certainly can rock our core. It also makes me think about my own mortality and who would take care of my child(ren) in the event that something happened to me and Jody. I know we should have a living will (or something like that), but we have yet to take care of it. Another item for the "things to do" list.

Don't forget to share your love with your family and friends, and give them an extra hug today if you can.

6 Comments:

At 9/14/2006 3:02 PM, Blogger Primal Mama said...

I was so sad to read the news in my email, its just so heartbreaking :(

A will is something that D and I have talked about but haven't done yet, and I am pretty sure its something we should do for sure soon. My MIL is an attorney (in your town) if you want her info, she handles these and is reasonable. I think I'll be asking her to draw ours up too :(

 
At 9/14/2006 10:14 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

dawn - thank you for your MIL's info.

nino and kleo - thank you so much.

 
At 9/15/2006 7:18 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

What a terrible tragedy for your friend. I'm very sorry. :(

I think about it too much, about something happening to my son. Or something happening to my husband. It's certainly not a pleasant thing to dwell on since there are many things out of our control, so I shift my focus instead or I'd surely go mad... And I appreciate my blessings even more.

 
At 9/15/2006 7:22 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend and her dad. It's been a tough year that way. I have lost my Grandmother, a very close friend, a neighbor, two uncles, and a dog all in 9 months of eachother.

You and your family/friends are in my prayers!

 
At 9/15/2006 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that...mortality is a weird thing. Personally I think as soon as kids are able to learn about the birds and the bees, they should be able to learn about dying, too...ah well. Who knows. Death is tough, that's for sure. We lost my aunt, uncle, and grandmother all in about 6 months, and in between that was September 11. It was a difficult time. Good luck to your friend, I hope she finds the support she needs.

 
At 9/17/2006 5:18 PM, Blogger Penny said...

How sad :(

We must make a will too... one of those things we've talked about but never done yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home