Monday, January 30, 2006

Cheap Ways to Save the World and "The Meatrix"

I don't have time to write much of an entry today, so I will leave you with a couple informative bits instead.

This first thing was posted on a Y!Group I belong to. I found it interesting and exciting that breastfeeding made it onto the list.

Johns Hopkins University identifies "10 Cheap Ways to Save the World"

The fall 2005 issue of Johns Hopkins Public Health includes a list of the 10 least expensive ways to save millions of lives. Experts on the School's faculty identified the interventions.

The ten cheap interventions are:

1. Quit smoking.
2. Increase vitamin A supplementation.
3. Expand oral rehydration therapy.
4. Build pit latrines in developing countries.
5. Use bed nets treated with insecticide.
6. Treat premature newborns with antiseptic baby wipes or
sunflower oil.
7. Use home based water purification systems.
8. Increase condom availability.
9. Vaccinate poor children against measles.
10. Breastfeed.

For the complete story and details about each item on the list, click here.


------------------------------------
Yesterday, while browsing vegetarian Web sites, I came across The Meatrix - a short Flash movie that takes a look at the many problems and issues of factory farming, where the majority of our meat, eggs and dairy comes from. If you are concerned about animal rights at all, it's definitely worth a look. I'm not saying everyone should become vegetarian, but I do think it's important (for animal rights and your own health) to know where your meat comes from. Reject factory farming and try supporting your local farmers instead. :)

------------------------------------
I'll be posting a tasty Peanut Butter Tofu Stirfry recipe in the next day or two. We had it for dinner tonight. Mmmmmm. :)

1 Comments:

At 1/30/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I haven't had a chance to view the Meatrix on a computer with working volume yet, so I'm glad you brought it to my attention again.

I'm also really looking forward to anything peanut butter..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home