Saturday, January 28, 2006

Soup's on - carrot soup recipe! And my blog is featured!


Here's a new (to me) soup recipe I got from my friend Julie. :) She made it for our moms' night out get-together a week and a half ago and it was delicious!

Carrot Ginger Soup

2 or 3 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1.5 pounds of carrots, chopped
2 baking potatoes, peeled & sliced
1 c. soy milk (the recipe called for 1 c. of white wine, but I didn't have any and using the soy milk was just as good)
7 cups of vegetable stock
¼ c lime juice
1 knob of fresh ginger, peeled & sliced or 2 t ground ginger (or I used pumpkin pie spice)
1 T chopped cilantro
1 T lemongrass (optional - I didn't have any and it tasted fine without it)
salt & pepper to taste

Saute the onion, carrots & potato in the olive oil for 10 minutes until softening, but not browning. Add the soy milk (or wine) and cover, letting it simmer for 10 more minutes. Add the stock & the ginger and cook until the vegetables are totally softened, about 45 minutes (or longer) depending on how small you cut them. Puree in a blender or food processor and then add the remaining seasonings to taste.

And here's the best way to eat it - using a carrot spoon, of course! ;)



Edited to add:
How cool is this?? My blog is featured on the Toronto Vegetarian Association. The listing says:
-----------
Musings of a crunchy, domestic goddess
• Daily
Blog run by amygeekgrl who is passionate about breastfeeding and parenting, and cooking delicious looking veggie meals.
-----------
Oh, just noticed there's also a poll to vote for your favorite veggie site. Wanna give me your vote? Hehe. It feels kind of weird for me to be on there since I just started adding veggie recipes to my blog, but it's fun to get a mention nonetheless. :)

8 Comments:

At 1/28/2006 6:52 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Popping in for a quickie hi! This looks yummy (and adorable)

 
At 1/28/2006 11:06 PM, Blogger gosonja said...

Tasty! I have a ton of carrots that need using, perhaps I will whip this up tomorrow! Thanks!

 
At 1/29/2006 8:03 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

Yummy! Congrats on the mention of your blog -- did you complete an entry or did it just show up? And it's a Canadian site, too! And so fast, seeing you just started eating vegetarian food. Wish my hubby were more open to it.

 
At 1/29/2006 9:40 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

R2Ks - Thanks. It is dee-lish!

Sonja - Let me know how you like it. :)

Amy - Thanks! It just showed up there. I was looking through my stats and noticed someone came to my blog from over there, so I checked it out and there it was. Crazy, huh?

 
At 1/29/2006 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carrots and giner are just a match made in heaven. This looks so delicious - and I'm envious. I need to learn how to take good close up pictures! *sigh*

Ava is just too cute. I bet you could sell that second picture to a vegetarian magazine. :)

How cool that you got linked! I'm heading over there right now to vote. :)

 
At 1/30/2006 5:59 PM, Blogger Info for you said...

I voted! :)

She is just too cute!

 
At 1/30/2006 7:25 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

miriam - i often crop my pics before posting them, so they might look more close-up than they really are. ;)
now that's an idea - selling ava's pic to a veggie mag. hmmmm. :)

camille - thank you. :)

 
At 1/30/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Great looking soup- wish I liked ginger more! And kudos on the blog mention!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home