Sunday, February 26, 2006

Tahini tofu stirfry with saifun bean threads - recipe

I've had these Saifun bean threads sitting in my pantry for months and months now. I bought them by accident, thinking they were rice noodles, and then wasn't sure what the heck to do with them. So when I decided to make some sort of tofu stirfy for dinner last night, I thought I'd give them a try instead of brown rice.
They look really weird after being boiled, as they are these clear noodles, looking almost like soapy bubbles.
(I found this site that has descriptions of various Asian noodles including bean threads.)

The meal turned out pretty well and was quite tasty, though see my note below.
Oh! I have to thank Jess of Get Sconed! for her tips on getting your tofu to cook just right. Basically you don't touch it until it's time to flip it. I cooked it over med-high heat and I think that helped a lot too. I was so proud that it finally looked good instead of like mush. ;)


Tahini tofu stirfry with saifun bean threads

Ingredients:
Saifun bean threads
Tofu
Olive oil
Sesame oil
Tamari
Garlic powder
Cayenne powder
Red swiss chard
Sesame tahini

Instructions:
Cook tofu in olive oil, sesame oil, tamari, garlic powder and cayenne powder. Set aside.
Cook the chard in olive oil.
Combine the tofu and chard. Add about 1/2 cup tahini and more tamari, as well as some water to thin the sauce.
In the meantime, boil the Saifun bean threads for about 20 minutes. Drain and cook a bit longer with some vegetable oil and tamari.
Place some bean threads on a plate, cover with the tofu/chard/tahini sauce. Enjoy.



Note: This meal was a LOT heavier than I thought it would be, perhaps due to the amount of oil I used. I didn't think it was a lot, but if I make it again, it will be with less oil.
Also, sorry I didn't specify amounts much for this recipe. It really was an "eyeball it" kind of meal.

I had a lot of bean threads left over (since I made two packages - oops), so after dinner I gave a couple handfuls to Ava on her tray and she had a ball playing with them and eating some as well.

4 Comments:

At 2/27/2006 10:42 AM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

That looks intensely delicious! I'm so delighted the tofu worked out - it looks great! I can hardly believe it, but I have two blocks to use in my fridge.

 
At 2/28/2006 12:49 PM, Blogger Harmonia said...

Oh! Look at that!


I actually have some tofu marinading in a mexican store bought marinade at home right now...I will have to remember to finish it tonight. Thanks for the reminder!

 
At 3/04/2006 11:15 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Thank you both. :)

 
At 4/03/2006 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ame!! Guess what?? I just bought some "sesame tahini" myself last week (at first, I thought to myself -- what the heck IS this stuff anyway?) and...I found it at the regular grocery store. The recipe was for Red Pepper Hummus. I just HAD to write and tell you! We thought it was just great and it makes so much more than you get at the store and is soooo much cheaper to make at home!!! I haven't read in awhile and am just thrilled to see Ava's recent pics and how her hair is getting longer...and also thrilled to hear about Jody's company being bought by Google!! Answered prayer is heavenly...isn't it? Love, Aunt Nancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home