Wednesday, October 04, 2006

"What Baby Needs" - book recommendation

I took some time away from the fam last night for an ANO (Amy's Night Out). Of course, I found myself at Borders looking for a book to buy for Ava, but I also spent a good hour of "me time" finishing up my copy of "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth." What an excellent, uplifting book!

Back to my story...I was looking for a good book to get for Ava about becoming a big sister. The first book I picked up talked about bottles and feeding the baby milk and showed the baby sleeping in it's crib, etc. It was obviously not the book for our family. The next one I saw was by Mr. Rogers and it was a lot better-suited for us (even had an actual picture of a mommy nursing a baby), but still not quite what I was looking for.

Then I saw a book by Dr. Sears called "What Baby Needs" and I had a good feeling this was the book for us. The book starts out with a message to parents about the transition a child goes through becoming an older brother or sister and makes a lot of good suggestions for involving the child. Then the book itself shows the mommy breastfeeding, and later the daddy giving the baby a bottle of mommy's milk, as well as baby sleeping in a cosleeper next to mom/dad's bed, and the baby being worn by both mom and dad in a sling. "What Baby Needs is a warm look at how life in the family changes to accommodate the needs of a newborn, and the care an infant requires. The focus is on things like what the older child can do that the baby can't, and how to make friends with the baby." I didn't buy it last night, but am going to order it on Amazon (and save a few bucks). There's also a companion book called "Baby on the Way" which I wish I would've known about earlier, but oh well.

So there are my two Attachment Parenting(AP)-friendly book recommendations for families with a new baby on the way. :)

4 Comments:

At 10/05/2006 7:21 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

Just dropping by to say hello! i have bloglines now so I will be over more often!!!

 
At 10/08/2006 3:22 PM, Blogger The Mommy Blawger said...

Oh, 3 of my favorite books!

Just let your monkey do it.

 
At 10/09/2006 5:47 PM, Blogger Spookygirl said...

Oh! Daniellle loved those books!!

 
At 10/09/2006 10:42 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Nino - Yes, I totally know the value of A.N.O. :) Unfortunately, I didn't discover it until Ava was quite a bit older and I could've used it earlier. Will do my best to keep having some time to myself now and then after baby boy joins us as well.

Harmonia - Thx for stopping by!

the mommy blawger - Thanks for visiting. :) Yes, must let my monkey do it. ;) That's such a great book!

Beckie - Glad I'm not the only one who's discovered those books. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home