Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Let's see how much money I can spend *cough, cough*

After my pseudo-complaining about the cost of hiring a midwife (or moreso that insurance won't cover the cost), I'm actually considering hiring a photographer as well to document my birth. Am I nuts or what?! (Uh, don't answer that. Seriously.)

The way I see it, having a baby - this baby - will happen once in my lifetime. And this may very well be the last baby that we have. (Maybe. Nothing is carved in stone yet.) I would love to take pictures of my own birth, but, as hard as I try, I can't be in two places at once. ;) I really, really want good pictures from this birth - not just snapshots, but a photojournalist-style documentation of the events as they unfold. So I've justified to myself the expense of hiring someone to take photos, even if it means dipping into savings.

Now I'm trying to find a photographer who has done birth photography in the past and that I would feel comfortable with being in labor in front of. I don't think this will be an easy task, especially considering we only have about 7 weeks left!

I thought about hiring a doula who specializes in photography, but since I'm having a homebirth and will have two midwives here to support me already, I can't really justify the expense of a doula too. Not to discount their value, because I think doulas are awesome and, if I was planning a hospital birth, I wouldn't hesitate for one second from hiring one! But since I'll be birthing in the comfort of my home, I figure the money would be better spent going to an actual photographer.

So that's what I've been up to - trying to find ways to spend the money we don't have.

Oh, and I went for acupuncture tonight and they decided I don't need to start on the Chinese herbs yet, because I'm apparently doing so well. Yay! :)

8 Comments:

At 9/28/2006 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, I guess Jody is out of the question for being the photographer? I, myself, have never done "birth photography". However, if I lived closer, I would be glad to volunteer my services at no charge. Maybe someone close by will read your blog and volunteer. I guess I have never heard of anyone wanting the actural birth on "film". Well, us old photogs still use the word "film" for taking photos, even if we do mostly digital:)

Roy
TXphotog13@cs.com

 
At 9/28/2006 8:10 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

How exciting! Cameras...photos...shopping! ;)

 
At 9/28/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Penny said...

Pity Kaoni doesn't live near you :)

I know what you mean about the doucmenting though. If this one is the last baby I have, I would like to do something similar. Hope you can find someone Amy.

And of course I'd love to see the photo-story! ;)

 
At 9/28/2006 9:17 PM, Blogger Kellie Gray said...

Amy,

Good luck finding someone to photograph the birth! I just photographed my first birth .... it was amazing and I hope to be able to do more soon! I also plan to find someone to photograph my next birth ... anyway thought you may like to see the slideshow of my first birth shoot ... http://kelliegrayphotography.com/mandy.exe

Good luck these next few weeks!

 
At 9/28/2006 9:52 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Roy - I had forgotten that you do photography. Anyway, thank you. I think I may have found someone to do it for me. I would just ask a friend, but I really want them to be more professional than just snapshots. And yeah, Jody is out of the question because he will be too involved in the birth.

Penny - I know! I think there are a bunch of us who wish Kaoni lived nearby!
I'm sure I will be sharing the "photo-story" (at least a 'safe for the 'net version') provided I ever have the time to assemble it after baby boy is born. I'd really like to make a slideshow.

Kellie - Very cool that you did a birth! I will chk out the link you sent. Thank you. :) Hope things are going well for you.

 
At 9/28/2006 10:14 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Kellie - I just watched it. Very nicely done! :) I love the images of the baby fresh out, meeting her big sister and the special moments btwn mommy/baby and daddy/baby. So sweet. Thanks for sharing it!

 
At 9/29/2006 7:56 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said...

It's YOUR baby, do what you feel will record this moment in history! For sure!!

 
At 10/01/2006 12:52 AM, Blogger Jenny Quld said...

I felt the same for the birth of my third and last child. I had a friend record the entire birth and am so pleased I did. The DVD is for me only and I love watching it.
I would of loved to have some great photos as well. Good luck in finding someone!
Why not try a midwife/doula teaching hospital or similar and see if they want some training resourses. I had a friend who was approached to be in a training documentry and got copies of everything for free. She did make sure that it was for students use only and not for ante natel classes; she didn't want to run into any viewers at a future school night........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home