Sunday, September 11, 2005

A few happy things

Happy thing #1 - Ava peed in her potty for the first time Friday! :-)

No, I haven't started potty training/learning in earnest with her yet, but we got her a potty and I set her on it whenever she seems interested.

On Friday I was getting her ready for a bath and she was enjoying some naked time while the tub filled. She came into the bathroom with me and I set her on the potty for kicks. (I've done this in the past and she's never gone to the bathroom on it.) She started signing "poop" and I thought for a moment that was going to poop right there, but she didn't. Then she signed "apple" or so I thought (it is really similar to the sign for "toilet" or "potty"). When she stood up, there it was! No, not an apple. ;) Pee in the potty! I got so excited. I ran for my camera and took a couple pics of her sitting on the potty afterwards. Hee, hee.

Happy thing #2
- Garage sales!

On Saturday I discovered what so many people have long-since known - garage sales can be a wonderful place to find the things you need for very little money. (Thanks to my mother-in-law who picked up a few cute outfits for Ava at garage sales recently and inspired me to do some bargain hunting myself.)

Since we are going to Massachusetts at the end of the month (holy crap, that's only 2 weeks away!), I have been wanting to get Ava some fall clothes for the trip and, of course, she'll be able to use them here as well once the weather cools down. Not having much money for my spending spree, I decided to pick up a newspaper on Friday, check out the classifieds and map out some garage sales in my area. I got up yesterday morning and headed out, hopeful that I could find a few things for my sweet pea. Not only did I find a few things, I found an ass-load!!

FOR AVA:
11 toddler shirts (some Gymboree, Osh Kosh and Old Navy)
2 dresses (one is Baby Crew)
3 pairs of overalls (all Osh Kosh)
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of pants
1 matching top/bottom outfit
a ladybug Halloween costume (super cute!!)
and a little push/popper toy

FOR ME:
3 t-shirts
a copper bracelet
a purse

FOR THE HOUSE:
4 Tupperware bowls and lids

How much did I pay for my crap-ton of loot you ask?
$18, that's right, $18!!! :-)

Yes, I'm quite pleased with how my first garage saling adventure went. While shopping brings a high all its own, walking away with a ton of sah-weeeeet deals makes it all the better. I'm still giddy from bargain-finding endorphins. (Ask Jody. He'll tell you what a good mood I've been in all weekend.) :-)

And lastly, Happy thing #3 - Jody's been taking care of a lot of things around the house this weekend - fixing the gate, making breakfast this morning, doing dishes, vacuuming, and mowing the grass. I'm always appreciative when the honey-dos turn into honey-dones. Yay for helpful honeys. :)

9 Comments:

At 9/11/2005 5:17 PM, Blogger Jody said...

I honestly never thought I would encourage you to go shopping. Seriously.

 
At 9/11/2005 6:39 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

OK, Honey dones are great.
Bargains are wonderful.
And then Ava had to go and learn the potty on top of it?!? STUPENDOUS!!!! FANTASTIC!!!!

 
At 9/11/2005 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you say "ass-load".....funny

 
At 9/11/2005 9:55 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

I usually hate going to yard sales, all I ever see is junk. Granted, the last time I went to one was probably 3 years ago. I need to find a friend to go with me, although I guess I've missed the best time of year for yard sales.

Oh, and about your pet peeves post, if I ever misuse your and you're it's only because I was in a hurry and didn't proof read. Although it's not an excuse. :) Funny because when I see people misuse the word I think they're not so smart. Shame on me.

 
At 9/11/2005 9:56 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

I forgot to add....Yay for the PEE!!!! :)

 
At 9/11/2005 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pee in the potty!!! Yay!

We're doing that right now, too. Kajsa's only done #1 one time, but what a thrill. I can see why you've been in a great mood. Congratulations. Was she as excited as you? Its fun to get them all excited and proud of themselves. Bright, happy, cherubic faces gleaming...

And as for the spree, another yipee. I love finding bargains. Was it Running2Ks who went consignment shopping last month. You gals are on a roll.

I can't fathom of my husband making breakfast for me. You're a lucky woman.

I hope that you have a great time in Mass. The leaves should be beautiful about this time of year. Hopefully they'll be kickable for you.

 
At 9/12/2005 8:06 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Rowan, hey, yeah, I went BEYOND consignment--I entered the realm of thrift store. But it wasn't even CLOSE to the yard sale deals Amy is talking about. I thought I had it, but she's da bomb!

 
At 9/12/2005 8:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the Potty thing! I keep hoping I'll just wake up one day and Josephine will have trained herself.

And exsqueeze me? You have not previously known the wonders of other peoples' stuff?! Be careful! It's addictive! We had garage sale serendipity this past weekend - we were on our way to look at a fridge that was for sale in a house way north of the city that was selling for $100. We took a detour through our old neighbourhood because it was the annual street sale weekend. Josephine started to gack on some apple juice, and we pulled over in front of a house to clean up, and there was an even better fridge for sale on their lawn for sixty bucks, and they guy's delivering it! I'm still giddy!

But, you might think about hanging the clothing outside in the sun for a day after it's washed, in order to air out the former owner's "energy" (if you believe in stuff like that!). I do, although I know it seems weird.

 
At 9/12/2005 12:28 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Marla - I'm not exactly new to other people's stuff. I've been doing consignment and thrift stores for a while, I just hadn't ventured out into garage sales. ;) And yes, I totally believe it's addictive! LOL Congrats on your fridge serendipity! How cool. (Though I hope you didn't need it because your's died.) And thanks for the idea about putting the clothes out in the sun. I will do it.

R2Ks - glad to hear you got some great deals recently too! Oh how I love a good find. :)

Rowan - Ava wasn't as excited about the pee in the potty as I was. I wonder if she even knew she peed. LOL Hope it goes well w/ Kajsa. And yes, I'm totally looking forward to the leaves in Mass!

Tiffiny - Don't worry about the use of your/you're. I hope people don't think I'm a word Nazi cuz of my post. There are just certain things that I can't help but noticing, and that's one of them. Sorry you haven't had the best luck w/ yard sales. Maybe give them another try in the spring?

Shelby - Yes, I said ass-load. *titter, titter* Glad to see ya posting. :)

Jody - Just think of all the cool tools I could find for you at garage sales. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home