Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Crisis of my "super-sized" conscience


While my in-laws were visiting this weekend, they got up early one morning and went to McDonald's to pick up breakfast for us all. They said to Jody, "Do you think Amy will eat a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich?" To which Jody replied, "Sure."

Later that morning as I got out of the shower, Jody told me there was a breakfast sandwich waiting for me downstairs. I immediately asked him where it was from, suspecting it was from McD's. He confirmed it. I said sheepishly to him, "Uh, you know I can't eat that," which immediately reminded him of the fact that I've been boycotting McD's for over a year now (ever since I saw "Super Size Me"). It's not like I ate there often before then, but watching that movie and reading up on the history of McD's was enough for me to decide not to patronize them anymore.

So he went downstairs to tell his folks that - oh yeah, Amy's boycotting McD's and probably won't eat it.

That left me feeling badly. Here they were, guests in my home just trying to do something nice for me by buying me breakfast. And here I was saying "thanks, but no thanks."

I thought for a few minutes about just eating it to avoid hard feelings, but I decided to stand by my principles and tell them I appreciated the offer, but I couldn't eat it. (Jody ate it anyway, so it didn't exactly go to waste.) I tried to explain a little bit to them about why I'm boycotting the golden arches, but I'm always bad at arguing a case that I'm not prepared for.

Anyway (to my in-laws), I really did appreciate the thought, so thank you. :) Hope there are no hard feelings.

And to those of you wondering why I didn't just eat the darn thing, I decided that I need to stand by my convictions, both for my sake and for Ava's sake. I know she isn't aware of whether or not I ate the sandwich now, but someday she will be and I want to be a good role model for her. When I say I'm boycotting something, I want to mean it.

On a related note (and something I probably shouldn't even be admitting), I bought Ava a couple fall/winter outfits today from a consignment store. I didn't bother to see what brand they were - just verified that they were sufficiently cute, checked the size and held them up against her to make sure they would fit. Once we got home and I tried them on her I found that one of the overalls is "McKids" brand!! Doh! I feel like such a hypocrite.

12 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 8:50 PM, Blogger Jody said...

Don't worry, I'll eat the overalls.

 
At 9/07/2005 9:09 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

Funny! I saw the movie and agree, but I gave in quickly. I can admire someone who stands their grounds. Kudos to you!

 
At 9/07/2005 10:47 PM, Blogger Some Random Girl said...

good for you....I loved SSM....have you read his blog? if you haven't I have the address.....He's pretty right on!
I am glad to know other people stand up for their convictions too...It's important!

 
At 9/07/2005 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't eaten at McD's in 20 years. I didn't realize this until you mentioned it. Wow!

I couldn't bear the thought of SSM. My daughter, Maya, saw it and said it would really gross me out. I get it though.

Have you seen any of his series, 30 days -- I think it is called. I've seen a couple of episodes and really liked them.

I wouldn't worry about offending. It might sound harsh, but when it comes down to it, you didn't ask them to buy you breakfast. Right?

 
At 9/08/2005 12:35 AM, Blogger Cath said...

I have no willpower and admit to liking a McD's now and then!

 
At 9/08/2005 1:05 PM, Blogger Harmonia said...

I've never seen the movie but realize many people boycott them for many reasons. Stand your ground!

 
At 9/08/2005 1:27 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

D'OH on the McKids, but as a fellow boycotter, I totally understand. Of course the family is used to me turning down food :) That movie really impacted me as well.

 
At 9/08/2005 11:14 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Thanks y'all. :)

I haven't read Morgan's blog, but I should check it out (as if I don't have enough blogs to read already - LOL). ;)

I haven't seen his series 30 days either though I've heard about it. We've only got basic cable.

Anyway, I was bummed he didn't win an Oscar (or whatever) for SSM. I thought it was very deserving.

And wow, Rowan - 20 years!? That's amazing!

 
At 9/08/2005 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy- Not sure if youve sceen this website but thought you'd be interested in checking it out. www.mcspotlight.org
I hope I got that right. Im boycotting mcdonalds too!

 
At 9/09/2005 8:28 AM, Blogger Amy T said...

I would love the website for Morgan's blog. I'm sure it's witty just like SSM was. I haven't eaten there since the movie and even before then. Their food always sits like a rock in my gut afterward. All fast food meals do, actually.

 
At 9/09/2005 10:48 AM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Amy,
Here it is:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/morganspurlock/

 
At 9/13/2005 1:18 PM, Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

We're boycotting Carl's Jr. right now, because of their sexually-themed advertising among other reasons. I don't know what I'd do if someone bought me a Carls Jr. hamburger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home