Friday, September 09, 2005

Pet peeves

I decided to bow out of Self Portrait Friday this week. The theme is "show us your war face" and since I'm not really into war and consider myself more of a pacifist, it didn't make sense for me to play. However, there are some crazy faces goin' on over there, so feel free to check them out if that's your bag, baby. ;)

Instead I was thinking about some pet peeves of mine lately and figured I'd share them.

1.) When people misuse the words "your" and "you're." As an English major (I know, you'd never know it by how poorly I write sometimes), this drives me batty.

From Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry: your
Pronunciation: y&r, 'yur, 'yOr, 'yor
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English Eower; akin to Old English Eow you -- more at YOU
1 : of or relating to you or yourself or yourselves especially as possessor or possessors , agent or agents , or object or objects of an action
2 : of or relating to one or oneself
3 -- used with little or no meaning almost as an equivalent to the definite article the [a trait... that sets him apart from your average professor -- James Breckenridge]

Main Entry: you're
Pronunciation: y&r, 'yur, 'yOr, 'yor, "yü-&r
: you are

2.) When people try to type a commonly-used expression, but don't know how to spell it and it comes out all wrong. I have a couple good examples of this from some message boards.

--- a.) The expression is "Granted," like "taken for granted." Example: "Granted they haven't arrived yet, but it's just a matter of time."
My pet peeve is when people instead type "Grant it." Grant? Grant who? What's that all about?

--- b.) This second one just floored me. Ok, the expression is "bound and determined," as in "My child is so bound and determined to talk."
The misuse of this was the person typed "bounden terminded" and then "bound in termin." Bound in what?! What exactly is termin anyway?

OK, so I didn't have as many as I thought (or I've forgotten them). I guess that's a good thing. ;)

Now it's your turn. What are your pet peeves? Share them here or on your own blog. :)

...

Hey, I remembered my other pet peeve. It's when people assume that "gentle discipline" means you let your kids run wild and don't discipline at all. It's a pet peeve of mine when people make assumptions about things without really knowing anything about it. Ok, that's all for now. ;)

11 Comments:

At 9/09/2005 2:00 PM, Blogger Jody said...

I really like when people exchange "to spite" and "despise". I use it often, its fun to say...

Do you just do this despise me?

(I think they are wanting to use despite, which is also incorrect, so you get a double whammy.)

This was one that a boss used on me when I was a teenager and its tickled me for about 16 years now.

 
At 9/09/2005 6:11 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

i have lots of pet peeves...lol...but i so get the gentle discipline thing...omg...

but my SPF is not a self portrait
friday, but stuff portrait friday...its cool...check it out.... :)

peace...

 
At 9/09/2005 6:16 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Mine include people using apostrophes to pluralize.

Banana's $ 0.49, banana's what? The stem, the whole thing, the car they drive? Hello, not a possessive.

And could have cared less. Well, so could I care less. But really, I couldn't have cared less.

 
At 9/09/2005 7:11 PM, Blogger Jody said...

gee now that the ball is rolling...

What's up with "to be honest" ... like you normally lie to me?

This one doesn't cheese me off as much because everyone does it, but... "a whole nother"

uh.. what?

 
At 9/09/2005 7:46 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Jody, nice to see you commenting. :) Trying to attract folks to your blog that you are FINALLY posting on again? ;o)

Monkey, I will check it out. :)

R2Ks, OMG! I SOOOO know what you mean about the apostrophes. I can't believe I forgot about that myself.

Oh, I got another one - when people misspell "their" - so that it's "thier." Also when they spell weird - wierd. To be honest, I guess misspelled words in general bug me. ;oP

 
At 9/10/2005 2:10 PM, Blogger Avery's mom said...

I was directed your way by Aurgha badnewsblonde and I'll be back to read more. currently busy with my new baby and trying to figure out what a schedule is.
thank you also for clearing up my trouble with the use of 'granted'
so many times I stumble over how to properly say it. now I know

 
At 9/10/2005 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bowed out of SPF yesterday for the same reason. I just knew that my "war face" would not be in the same spirit as Katy's. My choice seemed to be, disrespect her or go against my own beliefs. The only solution I came up with was to wait for next weeks topic.

As for pet peeves:

I get very upset about the rampant misuse of fewer than/less than. (Yes, I’m aware that this is irrational.)
Fewer = numbers
Less = volume
I actually gushed gratitude at a grocery cashier once for having grammatically correct signs. She just looked at me and said, "Yah, we're Asian owned." Chris laughed at me the whole way out to the car.

I also have a problem with its and it's. I looked this up recently. It is always it's unless possession is being expressed.

It's a beautiful day for a hike.
The fly rubbed its hands together.

I guess unbridled misspelling bugs me, too. I try to run most things through the spell check unless I'm in a huge hurry.

Oh, and finally for the non-written word...
Nuclear said as Nucular
Jewelry said as Julery
And
Realty said as Reelity

 
At 9/11/2005 12:27 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

And can I add, I hate "Would have went".

And people who think "a couple" is more than 2. Really, who else can I bring to bed with me?!?

 
At 9/11/2005 2:55 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

jag - maybe next week. :)

robyn - welcome! and congrats on the new babe. :)

rowan - dang, girl. you've got a lot! LOL j/k w/ ya, though i'm sure i'm guilty of some that you mentioned. it bugs me too when ppl (W for example) say "nucular."

R2ks - good ones.

 
At 9/11/2005 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I only posted four (categories). ;~P
I thought about your question all day, and so many others popped up. Fortunately, I don't get too outraged by my neurotic pet peeves- just irked.
And if you've "been guilty" of any of these; I haven't noticed. Even if I did, I'd overlook it. The rest of your writing would outshine whatever little thing may have escaped your attention.
I know that I have gone back to read over my own past entries, only to find some glaring editorial oversight.

And yah, I was thinking of Dubya when I listed that one.

 
At 9/13/2005 1:24 PM, Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oh geez, I am SOOOO sorry I missed this one. I am a grammar and mispelling freak. I hate it.

I also hate when people confuse affect and effect, I also despite their and there and you're and your (which everyone seems to do!!!) plus everything else you've mentioned. I go NUTS when I read stuff like that. GRRR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home