Saturday, May 07, 2005

30 years. Has it really been that long??

Today I celebrated my 30th birthday. It's hard to believe I've been alive for 30 years already now. Sheesh! That sounds like soooo long to me.
But then when I think about the things that I've accomplished in my life thus far, it feels about right. I'm pretty darn happy with where I am today. :)

I had a really great birthday. After we went to Ava's Music Together class this morning, Jody took us out to brunch at one of my favorite restaurants - Lucille's Creole Cafe. Then it was off to the spa at a swanky hotel for an 80 minute massage that Jody booked for me as my birthday present. That was fabulous and very much needed after I spent a lot of the day yesterday hoeing up our backyard in preparation for the sod we're going to plant. After the massage, we went home for a bit, and then out to dinner to an Italian restaurant in town. I got some tiramisu to take home and Jody sang to me and Ava helped blow out my candle. :)

Not a bad way to ring in the new decade if you ask me. ;)

-----------------------------
Words to live by:

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -- Abraham Lincoln
-----------------------------

(Side note: I have a few things on my mind to write about lately, but no time to write. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on my thoughts this coming week.)

5 Comments:

At 5/10/2005 8:54 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

Amy, Darlene here. Hi, again! I really love your Abe Lincoln quote.

I never did tell you how I so support your stance for breast feeding, so have to now. Good for you! All mothers who can should, for the betterment of their child's health now, and in the future. I breast fed my daughter; fortunately was able to bring her to work when she was an infant, so I'd just go into another room, or when there was no unexposed place to go, I'd discretely cover one side of my body with a blanket and nurse her, and most of the time nobody even knew what I was doing. But now she's a super healthy young woman, because a lot of my resistance to diseases was passed on to her because of my breast feeding.

Also, for anyone who has a cat, ours had been our "baby" until our daughter arrived. To ensure that he wouldn't feel ignored, and to teach my daughter and cat to learn to love each other and bond, whenever I breast fed at home, our cat was on my lap at the same time, and I'd pet him and talk to both cat and daughter. We also let him sleep with her in her crib, and there was no danger of him sitting on her face and suffocating her. Do cats ever sit on anyone's face when they're sleeping? It worked; he became her protector. Whenever she cried, he'd race upstairs to see what was wrong.

Please, mothers, if at all possible, breast feed your babies. Besides, it helps you lose those extra pounds you gained during pregnancy!

 
At 5/11/2005 8:56 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Darlene,
Nice to hear from you again. :)
Good for you for breastfeeing your daughter! I'm glad your employer accommodated your nursing her. I wish more places were willing to do that. I think it only makes sense since bf babies are statistically healthier than non-bf babies (thus parents miss less work). It's in their own best interest. :)
Very interesting about your cat. I'm not a cat person myself, but we have 2 dogs and, so far, they get along well with Ava.
Take care.

 
At 5/11/2005 9:00 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

I forgot to add how right you are about bfing helping you to shed those pounds gained during pregnancy. I don't think my story is necessarily typical, but I'm down 20 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight and I totally attribute it to bfing (as well as having a lil chunky monkey to carry around). ;) Anyway, the weightloss is definitely a nice perk!

 
At 5/19/2005 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darlene, you sound so great! Way to go for BF'ing your daughter and how cool that you could do it at work!! I'm glad that you posted on how great BF'ing can be and abt the benefits of disease resistance too. I appreciate anyone that tries to spread the word abt the bene's of BF'ing.!!

 
At 6/03/2005 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Amy. I am also 30. I have mixed feelings on it! Lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home