Wednesday, March 30, 2005

AP-friendly comic strip

I came across this comic strip Greystone Inn the other day. There are several storylines, but one involves a couple that practices Attachment Parenting with their newborn son. The author explores such topics as natural childbirth using a midwife, breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

I wrote to the author - Brad Guigar - to let him know how excited I was to learn of his comic strip and to find out if he's published in any newspapers (as I'd never heard of it before I saw a link on a message board). He said he's only in a couple newspapers - one being the Philadelphia Daily News and then a few college newspapers, but recommended I write to the editor of my local one if I wanted to see it published here. I told him about my connections with the paper (that I used to work there) and said I'd drop them an email to see if they'd be interested in picking it up. I wrote to two of the guys there - one of whom I know is pro-AP - so we'll see if anything comes from that. I also wrote to some people at the Boulder newspaper, since this comic strip seems right up their alley.

This one in particular really hit home for me because there were many nights that Jody would come to bed after Ava and I and he'd stand there watching over both of us to make sure we were still breathing. Thankfully he never rattled the bed, like the character did (and the author admits to doing to his son ;) ), but I thought it was cute. I'm sure many dads can identify with that.

I'd love to see AP get more recognition as an acceptable way to raise children. Maybe this comic strip can help do that. :)

2 Comments:

At 3/30/2005 2:56 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Got a response already from the Boulder paper. :)

------
"Thanks for sending this. I hadn't seen it before. If we make any comics
changes we will certainly consider it!

I appreciate your thinking of us.

Sue"

 
At 4/14/2005 4:57 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Yesterday I got a response from my old work. The managing editor said he's going to be reviewing the comics page starting this summer and will keep Greystone Inn in mind. Yay. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home