Monday, May 02, 2005

Bead for Life

On Friday, I attended a "BeadforLife BeadWear" party at a friend's house. There were no demonstrations or games, just beaded jewelry for sale made by Ugandan women who are struggling with AIDS, poverty and violence. The women use colorful magazines to roll the beads which are then sold around the world through BeadWear parties.

The "BeadforLife" Web site goes into a lot of detail about the women who bead, their mission, the jewelry, how to host a party, etc. It's really quite an amazing project.

Because the beads are made from rolled strips of colored paper (from magazines), every piece of jewelry is unique. There were many to choose from at the party and I had a hard time deciding which one to get for myself, but finally chose a blue choker necklace. I also bought some other pieces of jewelry for Mother's Day gifts. :)

The BeadforLife project has received media attention from Oprah - she included information in her Oprah Magazine. And the Denver Post ran an article about the project in January 2005.

If you'd like to do something to support these incredible women, consider hosting a BeadWear party, order some jewelry online or just spread the word about the project. Together we can help "eradicate poverty one bead at a time."

4 Comments:

At 5/04/2005 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment isn't actually relevent to this post, but based on some of your other posts, I thought you might find this article interesting.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/03/AR2005050301206.html

 
At 5/05/2005 8:53 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Sabrina,
Thanks so much for that link. It hits especially close to home because I was talked into getting an episiotomy at the last minute. "You're going to tear...you don't want to tear, do you?" Blah.
Anyway, I might write an entry about this article. It's great to see it in the Wash. Post. Maybe that will make more ppl take notice.
Thanks again!

 
At 5/06/2005 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome. I thought you'd enjoy it. I was birthing partner for a friend last year, and her doctor cut her and never even asked her first. I was shocked! I too hope that this article being in the Washington Post will help get the word out.

By the way, LOVE your blog!

 
At 5/19/2005 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a birth doula so this speaks to my heart....You'd be suprised at how many dr's cut w/o asking. It's crazy!!! It's also considered a surgical procedure but no one ever calls it that....would so many moms allow it if they called it by that name? "Oh, BTW, let me just perform this little surgical procedure on you while your baby comes out bc you *can't* do it by yourself." URg!!! please. Anyway, that's my rant. I really dislike it when dr's do that type of stuff w/out consent and without even informing the mom. Hope you enjoyed the birth otherwise!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home