Monday, March 14, 2005

Sold to the highest bidder?

I recently heard that some women have tried to sell their breastmilk on Ebay. (Breastmilk auction) It seems outrageous to me that something as precious as breastmilk could be sold to the highest bidder. Ebay doesn't allow the sale of human body parts (including blood or sperm), and I don't believe they are allowing the sale of breastmilk either (thankfully), which is why the above auction appears to have been shut down.
According to Ebay, prohibited and restricted items include:
"Humans, the human body, or any human body parts may not be listed on eBay. Examples of prohibited items include, but are not limited to: organs, bone, blood, waste, sperm, and eggs."

Knowing that there are licensed Mothers' Milk Banks located throughout the country that will accept donations of breastmilk (after the mother has completed a thorough screening), makes me wonder why someone wouldn't just choose to donate their milk rather than sell it. Are they struggling for cash that badly that they have to sell their own milk?

It's unfortunate that money seems to be such a driving force behind so many people's motivations. Why not give just for the sake of giving? I believe that people are rewarded for good acts - good karma if you will. So rather than try to make a quick buck here or there (as much as we need it), I'd rather do something to help someone else. I like the feeling I get knowing I'm helping them and I would hope that someone would do the same for me. :)

-----------------
Quote of the day:
"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." -- Wayne Dyer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home