Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Let's talk about trash

A recent discussion with some friends about what we all can do to make the world a better place (i.e. in the spirit of paying it forward) got me thinking about trash. Trash, you say? Yes, trash.

I was thinking about how my mom is an inspiration to me in that whenever she is out for a walk, on a hike or anywhere, she is always disposing of other people's trash.

When I first saw her doing it I thought it was kind of gross. I mean, who wants to touch other people's pop cans, fast food wrappers, used tissues, etc.? I guess the answer to that is not even the people who consumed/used them. But seriously, I think it's admirable and endearing that she will pick up after the lazy and the careless. Somebody's got to do it, right?

So I've started picking up trash lately on my walks, hikes or in parking lots. It's amazing to me how much trash is really out there and usually in such close proximity to a trash can. Why can't people take an extra 20 steps or carry it with them 'til they get home, rather than leave their Taco Bell bag and wrappers in the middle of a parking lot? (Yes, that's what I picked up in the parking lot of the Co-op today, along with a Capri Sun pouch. Now that's taking me back to middle school.)

I admit that I'm a little squeamish about snatching up trash if I've got Ava with me - germs and all. :oP So I'm thinking about putting a pair of rubber gloves in the car and carrying a plastic bag on our walks. That way I can avoid the ookies, but still clean up my neighborhood. :)

1 Comments:

At 3/10/2005 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is nice to read that I have inspired you to become a "trash picker-upper", Amy. If everyone did it on a regular basis, even if in their own neighborhood, think how much cleaner our country would be. I really started picking up after other people and recycling seriously after working for 7 years in the city of Detroit. My twenty minute drive to work was so depressing--looking at all the trash on the roadsides. I do it for myself, as an example to others, and for my granddaughter Ava and all the other little kids. Last month I was picking up pieces of glass on two Florida beaches so that some unsuspecting person wouldn't end up getting stitches in their foot. So come on America, do your part and pitch in. We all can make a difference and it just takes a little effort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home