Monday, August 01, 2005

World Breastfeeding Week - Aug. 1 - 7

World Breastfeeding Week is being celebrated Aug. 1 to 7 this year! Hats off to all the moms who have breastfed their children! :) May many more women continue to realize the benefits of breastmilk.

What's World Breastfeeding Week all about?
According to the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action:
The World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is the greatest outreach vehicle for the breastfeeding movement, being celebrated in over 120 countries. Officially it is celebrated from 1–7 August.

This year’s WBW aims to:
* Draw attention to the value of continuing to breastfeed children to 2 years or beyond.
* Raise awareness of the risks and costs of introducing other foods and drinks to breastfed babies before 6 months, thereby strengthening support for 6 months exclusive breastfeeding.
* Up-date information and ideas about the kinds of other foods and drinks needed by older breastfed babies and young children after 6 months.
* Share ideas for making complementary feeding easier, healthier and a time for learning and love.

In honor of Breastfeeding Week, La Leche League chapters worldwide are hosting walks to support breastfeeding awareness and advocacy. To find a walk in your area, click here.

Here are some great resources for breastfeeding information:

World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action
La Leche League
Breastfeeding
Lactivist
Kelly Mom
Lactivists
007 Breasts
AAP's Revised Breastfeeding Recommendations
World Health Organization's Recommendations
FDA: Breast-feeding Best Bet for Babies
Mothers Milk Bank locations

I will leave you with an excellent quote I saw today on Beckie's blog.
"While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby." --Amy Spangler

7 Comments:

At 8/01/2005 7:56 PM, Blogger Ms. Doe said...

Is that how you found my blog, through Beckie? :) She's always introducing people to other's. I was coming by to tell you about National BFing week and you already knew!! Yay! I'm happy to say I bf my dd a few months past her 2 year b-day. Sometimes I miss it. :( Happy BFing week to all ya mommies! :)

 
At 8/01/2005 9:21 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

Actually, I found Beckie's blog from your blog. And I came to your blog from Katy - The Grass Isn't Greener. And I don't remember how I came across her's. It's all just a vicious circle, isn't it? ;)

That's awesome that you bf your dd til she was 2. :) How old is she now?

 
At 8/02/2005 9:39 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Good quote.

 
At 8/02/2005 10:14 AM, Blogger Spookygirl said...

Wow! How fun to just cruise blogs and find like minded mama's! I am blogrolling you so I can stop by often, I love reading other AP mommies blogs :) You have some great links! (oh, and I had to add, I nursed DD until about 3 months ago, so until she was 28 months old, LOL)

 
At 8/03/2005 12:02 AM, Blogger Rambler said...

breastfeeding is good for the kids as well as mom... i read that it even helps in post partum depression (i hope i spelled that correct!) i remember scooping Yumna up everytime it got real bad...and it really did work.... but i believe two yrs shud be it! It certainly doesn't help havings kids pointing n screaming fer milk in public :p

 
At 8/03/2005 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
New on this blog via True Blue Semi-Crunchy Mama.
Here in England people thought I was mad that I insisted in breast-feeding my twins. I am Dutch and it's the normal thing to do there.

I'm glad I stuck to it though because it was fantastic. Too bad that because of work and such I could only do it for 4 months but at least I did the double option!

 
At 8/03/2005 5:41 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

beckie, i'm glad to have come across your blog too! :) way to go nursing your dd til she was 2+!

blog writer, i know what you mean. even if i'm having a bad day, a little nursing session can make me feel so much better too. gotta love those good hormones (prolactin and oxytocin). :) and it's a also great fix all when she gets hurt or upset. i don't really believe in putting an age limit on bfing (most kids lose interest by 3 or 4 years) and i think that as long as the child learns nursing manners (you don't pull up mama's shirt in public, etc.), then it can continue to be a great relationship.

laura, hi! glad to have you stop in. :) that's great that you bf your twins despite the nay-sayers. i've read a little bit about birthing and child-rearing in holland - sounds like another world entirely (in a good way!) from the U.S.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home