Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Breastfeeding in front of the president

I came across this photo on Yahoo News yesterday.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez talks with people who were affected by flooding...

Wow! :) How refreshing it is to see a woman able to openly feed her baby in public - while speaking to the president of her country no less! And nobody seems to be offended by it in the least (although that one guy might be checking out her boob, hehe). But the president seems absolutely at ease with it, even touching her on the arm and *gasp* making eye contact with her.

I'd love to see the United States embrace breastfeeding as such a natural part of life instead of limiting places women can nurse and having people take offense at a mom simply trying to feed her baby. It seems like here in the U.S. we are so quick to sexualize breasts, rather than view them as a source of food for babies (which is really their only practical purpose).

I feel fortunate to live in an area that's more accepting of public bfing than other places in this country, but we still have a loooooooooooong way to go before you'd see something happen like in the picture.

4 Comments:

At 2/16/2005 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion, I would rather not see this in public. Breastfeeding is so so personal, it should be done in private.

 
At 2/16/2005 3:44 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

After giving it some more thought, I don't necessarily feel like we (in the U.S.) need women walking around bare-breasted, but I do wish there was a greater acceptance of (and support for) breastfeeding mothers. I like that the Venezuelan culture seems so accepting. That's what's refreshing to me.

 
At 2/17/2005 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to Tanya, yes I have breastfed both my kids and I would always go some place private. Never a bathroom stall, but I preferred to be alone. And yes I do believe it should be in private or at least discreetly so nobody would be uncomfortable. I don't need an anatomy lesson on what women's breasts were meant for. I am fully aware that their main purpose is for bfing. A baby eating a bottle and a baby eating from her mothers breast are completely different. I have no problem with women bfing their kids in public as long as they are discreet, which most women are. It's just my personal opinion and I chose to do it in complete privacy and don't want to see other women's breasts when I'm eating, shopping, etc. If I knew I'd be out when they would need to eat, I would plan ahead, pump and bring a bottle. It just made sense to me.

 
At 2/18/2005 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to myrmom...that's your opinion, not mine. I still would be offended if I saw a woman's breast while I was out in public. Even if she is bfing. I guess I'm just a more private person than u.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home