Thursday, January 18, 2007

"Farm livin' is the life for me"

Accompanied by my sister, Ava, Julian and I, along with some friends, went to check out a preschool program at a farm located a few miles from our house yesterday. The woman who owns the farm met with us and gave us a tour while explaining some of the basics about the program and filling us in on the various animals we saw along the way.
Here's a blurb about the program from their website:
Every day is an adventure, designed to inspire wonder and growth and give your young child a sense of rural lifestyle. Even on cold days we will bundle up, climb in the wagon and tour the farm, feed animals, collect eggs, climb the giant treehouse, catch toads, follow bugs, or simply play together in the playhouse. Outdoor activities as well as indoor activities such as art projects, music, games and stories are all part of this program.
I really liked what I saw and heard and am seriously considering enrolling Ava in a one day (well, one morning really) a week spot starting in either the summer or the fall. I think it would be an amazing experience for her to spend a day on a working farm once a week.

While there yesterday we saw a mommy goat and her brand new baby that was smaller than a cat, a baby horse (who's mom died) that was rescued from another farm during the December blizzard, peacocks, sheep, dogs and cats and chickens. Ava even held a rooster all by herself! (Wish I would've had a camera with me.) She really seemed at home as she walked around the barn, petting animals, picking up hay to try to feed them, etc. We also peeked in on the "class" which was 8 kids and two "teachers." Ava seemed really comfortable and interested then as well. I'm quite sure she would've been fine with me dropping her off for the day. ;) She threw quite a fit when it was time to go home (ahhh, 2 1/2 year olds), but that's another story.

I'm also looking into other preschool programs (am just starting to learn about Waldorf and Montessori) and would welcome any insight those of you with preschool-aged children (now or in the past) can share. :) I'm really looking for something that's fun and play-based, but still educational to a degree. I'm not worried about her learning letters, numbers, colors, etc. at preschool because she knows most of that already and can learn at home. I really just want her to spend some time around other kids her age (because she is such a social creature) and have a good time.

4 Comments:

At 1/19/2007 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This farm pre-school one morning a week sounds great for Ava and any other little kid. I would encourage you to try it out for a session-Ava does love animals and it sounds perfect for her. Remember Upland Hills Farm? I loved going there with you and with my classes. We always learned something new.

 
At 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, Blogger BlueGoddess said...

Hey this farm place sounds really cool. You should post more info about the place or at least a link to its website. I think I might like to check it out for my little boy. He is going on 3 1/2 and needs to spend time with other kids more since he is an only child. Plus he loves animals.

Sorry I don't have much info on Montessori or Waldorf specifically. I like them both a lot, but they can be expensive.

 
At 1/21/2007 10:47 AM, Blogger BerryBird said...

That working farm preschool sound wonderful, Amy. So few kids get to interact with animals like that nowadays. What a great opportunity for Ava! I hope you get her enrolled so we can hear more about it.

 
At 1/22/2007 5:40 PM, Blogger Liesl said...

Hhhmm, my inner 3-year-old loooves that farm preschool, sounds fun. It would definitely complement Waldorf nicely with the focus on nature, music, and stories. It sounds like such a sweet place.

We didn't really explore Montessori since most of the Montessori schools here are heavily academic. I have heard that that is not the norm throughout the country, so it may be different where you are. If you'd like to ask any Waldorf specifics, just send me an e-mail :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home