Sunday, February 13, 2005

And ya wonder why I'm a cynic

Recently I've been reflecting on what a cynic I've become. I feel like money is the motivating force behind so many things these days and it sickens and frightens the hell out of me. It's actually one of the reasons why I haven't been comfortable enough with vaccinations to allow my daughter to receive any as of yet. I'm skeptical that there's a need for the vaccinations for the majority of the population since research shows that the disease rates were declining on their own before any of the vaccinations were introduced. So why do I think they were introduced and why do they "require" that all children get vaccinated? Because (in my opinion) it's all about making money!

So then today I read this article (below) that helps confirm my theory that money is such a driving force. It states that Merck & Co. (a pharmaceutical company that manufactures vaccinations) were aware that infants were receiving an elevated dose of mercury in vaccinations (up to 87 times higher than guidelines for the maximum daily consumption of mercury from fish), yet the shots were distributed anyway.

---------

"A memo from Merck & Co. shows that, nearly a decade before the first public disclosure, senior executives were concerned that infants were getting an elevated dose of mercury in vaccinations containing a widely used sterilizing agent."
The complete article is here:
1991 Memo Warned of Mercury in Shots

---------

Is the health of our children not important? Mercury (thimerosal) is a POISON. From the California Poison Control System's Web site (the comments in parentheses are mine):
"What are sources of organic mercury?

Organic mercury compounds are found in a variety of products. They are used medically as fungicides and antibacterials. The most common organic mercury compounds in the home may well be mercurochrome (merbromin) and merthiolate (thimerosal), two common antiseptics. Fortunately, small ingestions by children rarely cause major problems. (What about when you inject large doses into their muscles??!)

Organic mercury compounds (of which thimerosal is one) are very damaging. They are toxic by ingestion, inhalation, and skin and eye contact. (Again, what about muscle injections? If I don't want to eat it, I wouldn't think it would be good to be injected into the muscle and bloodstream, but that's just me.) These mercury compounds can attack all body systems. They can cause nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain, diarrhea, kidney failure, skin burns and irritation, respiratory distress, swollen gums and mouth sores, drooling, numbness and tingling in the lips, mouth, tongue, hands and feet, tremors and incoordination, vision and hearing loss, memory loss, personality changes and headache. Allergic reactions can also occur.

Methyl-mercury, usually from contaminated food, is very dangerous to pregnant women. Methyl-mercury causes profound mental retardation, cerebral palsy, seizures, spasticity, tremors, and incoordination, along with eye and hearing damage in the unborn baby as a result of the mother's exposure. Organic mercury passes into the breast milk as well."
CPCS

So hell yeah I'm going to be up in arms when someone wants to inject something into my baby that contains a poison. It's true that thimerosal (mercury) has been removed from vaccinations (though it still exists in trace amounts) in the past few years, but what about before that? And if they allowed high doses of mercury in the shots for 10+ years, who's to say they didn't allow (and don't still allow) other toxins? Most people would be surprised to learn what goes into making a vaccine (I know I was floored), but I'll save that for another day.

You can call me a cynic and I'll readily admit to being one, but it's things like that article that give me more than enough justification for it.

2 Comments:

At 2/17/2005 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious... If you're not vaccinating your child, how is she going to go to school? Don't most public and private schools require vaccinations? Or let me guess.... you're home schooling?

 
At 2/17/2005 2:40 PM, Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

To "anonymous" (please use a name - real or made-up - if you are going to post again. it makes it easier to address responses. thanks!)

"If you're not vaccinating your child, how is she going to go to school? Don't most public and private schools require vaccinations? Or let me guess.... you're home schooling?"

Like Tanya said, every state has exemptions. Here's a link that shows what exemptions each state offers:
Vaccination exemptionsI have not yet decided whether or not I am going to ever vaccinate my child. I may decide to do some vaccinations when she is older and I feel her immune system is better developed. Then again, I may decide not to do any. I continue to research the pros and cons of vaxes and, until I feel comfortable with vaxing, I will hold off on her receiving any.

Like other decisions I make for my child, whether she attends a public, private or home school is not one I will make lightly. I have no idea at this point where she will go. I'm thankful I have a few years to figure that out. ;)

--amygeekgrl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home