Saturday, February 12, 2005

Ahhh, Whole Foods

Why is it that every time I go to Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) that I'm overcome by the warm fuzzies? As a rule, I don't get excited about going grocery shopping - at least not the usual trip to the neighborhood Safeway store. But the prospect of going to Whole Foods always excites me.
My household income is nowhere near enough for me to do all of my shopping there (though I sure wish I could), but if I just want to pick up a few things - namely organic foods not available at my neighborhood co-op to puree for Ava - then that's the place for me. The thing is, I could wander that store for hours and my senses would never tire. It's just such an appealing place.
I don't know if this is something new they are offering, but today I noticed free sample tables located throughout the store. Had Jody not been sitting in the car with a sleeping Ava, I could've traversed the entire store tasting healthy bits of this and that. Because I was under a time crunch I only managed to try some grapes, two kinds of cheeses and a piece of bread. (Not bad for only spending 5 minutes in the store.) I'm going to have to go back there when I've got some more time to roam freely. ;)
If only the Safeways and Albertsons of the world could be as sense-awakening as Whole Foods I might not dread grocery shopping so much.

6 Comments:

At 2/15/2005 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the WF thing. 'Cept lately I've run into a bunch of crabby ppl there. When we first started going it was so cool bc the flowers and veggies were so bright, vibrant and inviting. Ppl were friendly, etc. Those were the times...earlier in the day I mean. ;) The "crabbies" come out after 5pm. The other day I went and needed to get a bulk spice. I had my ds and dh w/ me and I went up to the stand to get a baggie. This lady was totally blocking half of the stand and I said "excuse me" and she hestitantly moved so I could squeeze in. I leaned across her to grab the pen (she wasn't using it at the current *second*) and she was like "I'm using that" all snotty like. So I said "oh" and proceeded to use it. It stunned me there for a sec so I had a hard time remembering where my spice was. Had she just been patient it would have literally taken me 2 sec's instead of 30. Sheesh!

My dh laughs at me bc I go there and just oogle over everything. I look at all the labels, read all the products that I don't know, etc. and he gets antsy. What can I say! I love how WF food makes me feel...I wish I could spend more $$ there too...but alas! I'm destined for Albertson's and their 10 for $10 *stuff*. Whatta ya do? Ever wonder if the price of org will go down if more ppl start eating it? Or do you think it will stay pricey no matter what? I read that the price of pest's and fert's will get so out of hand that non-org food will outprice the org food. Doubt it, I read your blog on being a cynic and I agree.

 
At 2/17/2005 12:13 PM, Blogger Info for you said...

I love going there too...we don't have a WF here but we have other types of stores like that. :)

 
At 5/17/2005 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the same way! I live in Vancouver, BC--we just got Whole Foods here about 6 months ago. It's always packed. I could spend a lot of time there but my 13month old Sage is usually with me and won't allow that!
They have the nicest produce and the coolest products. I feel healthy just shopping there.
:)

 
At 5/31/2005 6:51 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5/31/2005 6:59 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

We call it Whole Paycheck too. I'm in love with the store. Also, we are lucky enough to have a Trader Joe's nearby. Fantastic option--and perfect for the mommy on the budget (their prices on the vegetarian foods are the same as, or cheaper than, our Dominick's and Jewel grocery stores). Alas, not available everywhere. As general groceries go, I miss Kroger. I guess I take some solace in the fact that the cereal companies are claming to put Whole Grains in their foods now. Maybe the convenience foods will follow the trend. We can only dream :)

 
At 6/03/2005 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know wha t you mean. I cannot afford to shop at Wildly Natural all the time and I wish I could. When I go to the grocery store I try to hurry in and out, but get meinto Wildly Natural and I want to pick up everything to check it out. I get the urge to buy all kinds of things I cant get that day. The only reason I hate going there is BECAUSE I can never buy all I want to. Lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home